tranceaddict Forums

tranceaddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Political Discussion / Debate
-- Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Pages (15): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 »

Posted by denny_shibby on Apr-19-2005 11:30:

Capatalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman

If there is any economic book out there that you should read this is it. Better than Road to Serfdom, and is written by the Einstein of Economics.

Posted by Regbar on Apr-19-2005 17:17:

quote:
Originally posted by denny_shibby
Capatalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman

If there is any economic book out there that you should read this is it. Better than Road to Serfdom, and is written by the Einstein of Economics.

You dirty free-marketeer!

I did not read them. I did a work on HAYEK though, it is very interesting but I disagree with his philosophical thesis.

But on economics, my favorite book is by far Mark BLAUG - Economic Theory in Retrospect.

Posted by tathi on Apr-21-2005 05:59:

Gregory David Roberts - Shantaram

41 Reviews, every single person gave it 5 stars:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...199062?v=glance

one of the best books i have ever read. it's amazing.

Posted by Trancer-X on Apr-21-2005 07:10:

quote:
Originally posted by tathi
Gregory David Roberts - Shantaram

41 Reviews, every single person gave it 5 stars:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...199062?v=glance

one of the best books i have ever read. it's amazing.

Wow! 700+ pages, there must have been some seriously detailed complexity in that story line. Do you remember how deep in the book you read before he escaped from jail in Australia? Just curious.

If I didn't have a stack of about 7 books already I would probably pick this up. I wish there were more hours in a day! Damn it!!!

Posted by shaolin_Z on Apr-29-2005 00:35:

Shame / Disagreement

quote:
Originally posted by Capitalizt
The Anti-Chomsky Reader

A more appropriate title for the book would be "Anti-Chomsky Propoganda."

Posted by shaolin_Z on Apr-29-2005 01:06:

I'm guessing someone probably posted this already but what the hell:

A People's History of the United States : 1492-Present
by Howard Zinn

Posted by brashy on May-19-2005 11:48:

I would all recommend any book written by Roger Garaudy. It depicts political systems in the US and other capitalist countries from a French viewpoint. Although Garaudy is not a radical, he still reminds of some horrible effects of both ultra-capitalism and stalinism.

Posted by Sid on May-23-2005 05:52:

Mao: The Unknown Story ~ Jung Chang, Jon Halliday

absolutely can't wait for this to come out. Read the review and it'll have you salavating at the mouth.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...1318799-7311052

Posted by tathi on May-24-2005 07:58:

quote:
Originally posted by S_madis

absolutely can't wait for this to come out. Read the review and it'll have you salavating at the mouth.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...1318799-7311052

nice Sid, at the moment i'm working my way up the continent, with these books:

Grahame Green - The Quiet American
First they killed my father - A daughter of Cambodia Remembers
and just started:
Lost Over Laos
all of the above I can't recommend enough, the reviews speak for themselves

next book is Wild Swans and then i might have to grab Mao: The Unknown Story

Posted by tathi on May-24-2005 08:05:

quote:
Originally posted by Trancer-X
Wow! 700+ pages, there must have been some seriously detailed complexity in that story line. Do you remember how deep in the book you read before he escaped from jail in Australia? Just curious.

If I didn't have a stack of about 7 books already I would probably pick this up. I wish there were more hours in a day! Damn it!!!

The book starts when he arrives in Bombay, he only talks about how he escaped the Australian jail briefly when he is being tortured and starved to death in Aurthur Road Prison in India.

The complexity is absolutely amazing, it reads like fiction because he is such an amazing writer, it would be impossible for anyone to go into that much detail if it was made up.

It doesn't get bogged down in detail either, the perfect balance. While reading this book i was living inside a slum in Bombay, fighting the Soviets with the Mujahadeen in Afgahnistan, working for the Bombay Mafia, I now know the ins and outs of international passport forgery

get this book, it stands out amongst the hundreds of 5 star books i've ever read, i lost my social life while reading it aswell haha, couldn't put it down

Posted by Blue. on May-24-2005 08:30:

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

Posted by razmataz on Jun-28-2005 18:33:

Salman Rushdie - The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Jhumpa Lahiri - The Namesake
Joseph Heller - Catch-22

Posted by Lebezniatnikov on Jun-29-2005 00:23:

Black Garden: Armenia and Azerbaijan Through Peace and War

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=books&n=507846

Posted by Trancer-X on Jul-05-2005 05:21:

Thumbs up

Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers - by Daniel Ellsberg

Posted by TheNobleEu on Jul-05-2005 20:43:

quote:
Originally posted by S_madis

S_Madis, did you read the book yet? Very interested to hear about it.

Lebezniatnikov, what did you think about _Black Garden_?

On the list of things recently read or to get done:

_Mud, Blood and Poppycock_ by Gordon Corrigan.
(Probably of interest to people here, an examination of the myths of Historiography of the British in WWI).

_Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader : North Korea and the Kim Dynasty_ by Bradley K. Martin.
(880 pages, but one I really need to get read).

_Spy Handler: Memoir of a KGB Officer_ by Victor Cherkashin.
(Interesting historio-biography of a KGB counterintelligence agent).

_Vaccine A: The Covert Government Experiment That's Killing Our Soldiers--And Why GI's Are Only The First Victims_ by Gary Matsumoto.

_The Record of the Paper: How the New York Times Misreports US Foreign Policy_ by Howard Friel, Richard A. Falk.

_Black Earth: A Journey through Russia After the Fall_ by by Andrew Meier.

Cheers,
-Noble

Posted by Lebezniatnikov on Jul-05-2005 22:33:

quote:
Originally posted by TheNobleEu
Lebezniatnikov, what did you think about _Black Garden_?

I enjoyed it immensely. I thought it was one of the better books written on the Caucasus that I've read, and it went into great detail about the Nagorno-Karabakh War in the context of how it helped bring about the demise of the USSR.

Posted by Trancer-X on Jul-10-2005 09:37:

A Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan

quote:
Look again at that dot. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human who ever was, loved out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every “superstar”, every “supreme leader”, every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived here – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbour life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits that this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we’ve ever known.

- Carl Sagan

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...118519?v=glance

Posted by metalgearsolid on Jul-14-2005 22:46:

Luna and I forgot the author but well worth the read.

Posted by kush paintings on Jul-23-2005 20:38:

I'm reading Pat Buchanan's book Where the Right Went Wrong. Very good book, providing an interesting viewpoint from a sel-professed "true" Republican.

Posted by cap on Aug-11-2005 03:06:

Fiction:

A Fine Balance by Indian-Canadian author Rohinton Mistry <- Should instantly go into your top 10 after reading

Fools Die by Mario Puzo

Non-fiction:

In Love and War by Jim Stockdale.

Posted by metalgearsolid on Aug-14-2005 01:38:

How Capitalism works I think the author is Pierre something. But a French guy wrote it, very crazy person who is suggesting to overthrow capitalism and he gives the reasons in the book.

Posted by shaolin_Z on Aug-18-2005 23:07:

The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot

I just started reading this but its already very interesting. An interesting veiw of our understanding of reality.

BTW, what would be a good place to start reading up on Quantum Physics? Any particular book any of you guys have in mind?

Posted by metalgearsolid on Aug-18-2005 23:10:

you want to read something on quatom physics? What is the matter with you.

Posted by cap on Aug-22-2005 06:47:

quote:
Originally posted by shaolin_Z
The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot

I just started reading this but its already very interesting. An interesting veiw of our understanding of reality.

BTW, what would be a good place to start reading up on Quantum Physics? Any particular book any of you guys have in mind?

My friend, I have recommendations'a'plenty:

The Tao of Physics
by Fritjof Capra

Dancing Wu Li Masters: An Overview of the New Physics
by Gary Zukav

Quantum Reality: Beyond the New Physics
by Nick Herbert

The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire: Harnessing the Infinite Power of Coincidence
by Deepak Chopra

The Self-Aware Universe by Amit Goswami

Good luck and have fun

Posted by metalgearsolid on Sep-11-2005 04:39:

Trajedy and Hope by Dr. carrol quigly

Pages (15): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 »