TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- USA - West Coast / Las Vegas
-- Exorbitant Service Charges noticed
Pages (2): [1] 2 »

Posted by Revealed on Feb-24-2012 08:32:

Exclamation Exorbitant Service Charges noticed

So as a trance lover and clubber, I am accustomed to the usual tactics that clubs employ to suck an extra $5 or $10 from all of us. You know what I'm talking about. For instance, if you get on such and such discount list and get there by a certain time or if you are of the first x number of people there, you can get in at a discount. They also sell a very limited number of tickets at special "early bird" pricing, then start pumping up the prices, usually in increments of $10, at pre-determined number of tickets sold.

Well tonight I just purchased tickets to see W&W/Menno De Jong at the Exchange in downtown LA through groovetickets aka Flavorus.com. The tickets were $20 but the service charge was $5.20!! That is 26% of the cost of the ticket!! What's worse is when I printed up the ticket, it states on the ticket itself that the service charge was $2.50 and not the $5.20 that it charged me. So I investigated this further only to find that charging me $5.20 as a service charge was not a typo or mistake. Turns out, groovetickets receives $2.50 as their fee and then Insomniac, the promoters, take $2.70! So I went back at some other recent trance show tickets I have purchased to see what they charged in "service fees." I bought two tickets to tomorrow night's Dash Berlin show a while back and guess what? They charged me 17.25% for "service fees!"
This just doesn't seem right, didn't Ticketmaster get busted a year or two ago for charging huge service charges? Please tranceaddicts voice your opinions on this matter here.

Also I'm going to set up a poll on this as well. The poll has been set up and will run for a period of 30days.

Posted by LAdazeNYnights on Feb-24-2012 08:51:

I agree with you on this. What is a 'service' charge really supposed to cover after all? If you were buying it at a ticket counter then perhaps the service charge is to help to cover the persons wage that is selling you the ticket. That makes sense. Is our 20%+ of ticket price going towards the 'service' of promotion (more and more ads on the internet and so on and so forth) ?? Of course I could be totally off base here.

It's especially annoying as ticket prices rise. For big festivals the service charges can be game changers. The main issue to me is that tickets are advertised as costing x amount and then invariably cost x+y amount or even x+y+z amount.

Posted by in2muzikk on Feb-24-2012 09:18:

Yeah, I went to the link for the Menno/W&W/Schossow tix and saw that too. I decided to empty the cart instead of getting them for this reason. The airlines got caught at their own game, perhaps ticket sellers will be next...

I remember buying a $70 ticket with a $3 service fee for Digweed NYE, that seemed reasonable to me, around 4%.

Posted by fantasyexctasy on Feb-24-2012 11:35:

It's going to feed the wealthy piece of shit that runs this greedy scheme. People need to stand up and protest somehow. Change.org is really useful

Posted by Direct on Feb-24-2012 15:57:

tldr, I made a random vote.

Posted by bigperf on Feb-24-2012 17:14:

Solution:
Don't buy tickets. Get on the comp list.

Posted by jonmitz on Feb-24-2012 18:04:

lol, just wait until you order from ticketmaster. no other ticketing service even comes close to their 30% "convenience" fee

Posted by Tosh on Feb-24-2012 19:06:

Sure it costs them money to run the servers, mail tix, run the website, high salaries, phone service, will call, etc etc
But the amount they are skimming off the top is way too high to be paying these things alone. Let's just say they make $5 per ticket for EDC alone..... That's a lot of freakin money!!!

Ticket price should include all fees. Let the greedy companies fight over it from there.

Posted by bigperf on Feb-24-2012 19:09:

quote:
Originally posted by in2muzikk

I remember buying a $70 ticket with a $3 service fee for Digweed NYE, that seemed reasonable to me, around 4%.

you could have picked it up via randy s for $55 no service fees!

avalon tickets used to start at $15, with service fee of $3(20%) so they just changed ticket prices and left service fee at the same amount...they werent doing you a favor...

if you check out tickets for avalon shows(still $15, but service charges are now $4.) at least its statys $4 as price continues to go up. Some promoters(eventvibe) start off at $10, and $1.20 service and then tack on $0.60 every time the price tier goes up $5. so a $30 ticket has a $3.60 service charge, still lower than avalon.

Posted by MelBeat on Feb-24-2012 19:33:

Seems service fees are too high only for Insomniac events.

Posted by capricorn15 on Feb-24-2012 21:10:

quote:
Originally posted by MelBeat
Seems service fees are too high only for Insomniac events.

they doesn't seem too high. they are too high. How can insomniac charge a service fee when you are already paying for a ticket? either way, i dont attend this stuff so it doesn't matter much to me but it is ridiculous.

Posted by MelBeat on Feb-24-2012 22:00:

Yes, they are too high. My point is only Insomniac events have such high fees. Look at Judge Jules @ Circus. $20 with $2.50 fees. But W&W is $20 with $5.20 fees.

Posted by 2tall on Feb-24-2012 22:45:

stop looking at it as a $20 ticket + $10 fees. look at it as a $30 ticket right from the start and don't stress over it.

it's like being pissed off at best buy for advertising a TV for $999, and then being outraged that it costs $1100 out the door after fees (taxes).

or ask your promoter to only charge $17.50 for his ticket, so that after fees it comes out to $20.00 even.

for the places that already sell their tix at $20 even, what about the 2.5% credit card processing fee or whatever that's in there.

or how about that $4.00/gallon gasoline you're buying. it's actually more like $2.50/gallon + fees... 75 cents federal, 50 cents state, 25 cents local.

bottom line, the price is going to be built in there somewhere anyways, so whether you see it or not $30 ticket is going to be $30 or ($20+$10).

it's another thing when the fees aren't disclosed, but when you're there on the purchasing about to hit SUBMIT, you see the price.

i'd be more pissed off about showing up to a venue and discovering that the water is priced at an unreasonable $7.50/bottle.

Posted by jonmitz on Feb-24-2012 22:58:

except taxes are actually used for good things.

i'm okay with eventbrite's charges, they are reasonable. i hope ticketmaster goes bankrupt and the CEO is murdered in the street.

I think it was my coachella tickets that had a total of like +$120 in fees, a small portion (maybe $20 or 30) that was for the polo fields. I mean, come the fuck on. They literally added close to $100 just for using their service? and when you have tends of hundreds of tickets they are netting millions of dollars. you can't defend that, it's highway robbery.

Posted by 2tall on Feb-24-2012 23:25:

quote:
Originally posted by jonmitz
i'm okay with eventbrite's charges, they are reasonable.

event owner decides whether to put fees on top of price or include them in the price. (http://www.eventbrite.com/t/fee-handling-options) so it's a marketing decision on the promoter's part. that way the promoter can say "Tickets only $20" on their flyer, only for you to discover it's $22.50 after fees. promoter could have priced his tickets $17.50 and included fees and it would be "$20" out the door (wow, how nice.. no fees!". "$17.50" on the flyer doesn't look as good.

unlike eventbrite though, i don't think ticketmaster allows the promoter/event owner to include the fees in a lump sum.

Posted by HearHarmonic on Feb-24-2012 23:35:

Ticketing fees are fucking horrible. It should be a law 10% max. Brown paper tickets is a really cheap site for fees. I think it was like a $1 for $20 show.

Ticketmaster is by far the worst I have paid 50% before.

Posted by in2muzikk on Feb-24-2012 23:38:

quote:
Originally posted by bigperf
you could have picked it up via randy s for $55 no service fees!

If not for the fact that I had bought my ticket a month before that offer was made, would have been great!

Posted by jonmitz on Feb-25-2012 00:36:

quote:
Originally posted by HearHarmonic
Ticketing fees are fucking horrible. It should be a law 10% max. Brown paper tickets is a really cheap site for fees. I think it was like a $1 for $20 show.

Ticketmaster is by far the worst I have paid 50% before.

it should be a flat fee that is directly related to their operating cost per ticket, not a % that completely fucks you on festivals or expensive events

Posted by bigperf on Feb-25-2012 01:28:

quote:
If not for the fact that I had bought my ticket a month before that offer was made, would have been great!

Interesting...
So circus is not the only venue that lowers their prices as event gets closer?!

Posted by raveed on Feb-25-2012 02:07:

I agree! These scumbags have lost all sense of responsibility and are basically holding the public hostage, knowing that many of us will have no other choice other than do pay as opposed to missing out on seeing our favorite artists. The part that gets me is how the service fees rise when the ticket prices rise. How does paying more for a ticket increase convenience?

Get a load of how the people who fork out top dollar for beyond wonderland are getting robbed:

GA: Ticket price $75 ; Service fee $7.13 (less than 10%)
VIP: Ticket price $150 ; Service fee $9.75 (just a little over 7%)

Those fees are actually not so bad. Now look at this:

Golden Ticket: Total price $3500 ; Service fee $700 (%20)

The Royal Treatment: Total price $4500; Service fee $900 (%20)

Seriously - $900? That's the price of 12 GA admission tickets. Plus you add gratuity to that. This is outright extortion.

Posted by Revealed on Feb-25-2012 03:32:

quote:
Originally posted by 2tall

i'd be more pissed off about showing up to a venue and discovering that the water is priced at an unreasonable $7.50/bottle.

Oh they already do this at exchange too btw. I forget what they charge for water there, but it was more than $5/bottle...

Posted by in2muzikk on Feb-25-2012 09:01:

quote:
Originally posted by bigperf
Interesting...
So circus is not the only venue that lowers their prices as event gets closer?!

Ticket prices to the general public were not lowered for Digweed. My guess is that the DJ's got a certain quantity of hard tickets, maybe three weeks before the date or something, and those were sold at the starting price as a perk for being a DJ there (but I think that even the starting price might have been higher).

Circus does whatever the hell they want. Black Friday sale, three date ticket package deals, special deals for the first 50 people into the club, etc. I give them a lot of credit for that.

While some may think of Circus as a "tier--" club that doesn't draw more than "national mid-card" DJ's, those who go there know that they get some of the best "underground" talent on the face of this Earth and are actually better than most other clubs for taking the risk when others dare not and stay with the norm of "international headliner blah blah blah..." It's all jibberish to me, each club has its niche and I think that Circus, Avalon, Exchange, etc. do quite well at what they do.

Posted by jdub889 on Feb-25-2012 09:06:

quote:
Ticket prices to the general public were not lowered for Digweed. My guess is that the DJ's got a certain quantity of hard tickets, maybe three weeks before the date or something, and those were sold at the starting price as a perk for being a DJ there (but I think that even the starting price might have been higher).

Circus does whatever the hell they want. Black Friday sale, three date ticket package deals, special deals for the first 50 people into the club, etc. I give them a lot of credit for that.

While some may think of Circus as a "tier--" club that doesn't draw more than "national mid-card" DJ's, those who go there know that they get some of the best "underground" talent on the face of this Earth and are actually better than most other clubs for taking the risk when others dare not and stay with the norm of "international headliner blah blah blah..." It's all jibberish to me, each club has its niche and I think that Circus, Avalon, Exchange, etc. do quite well at what they do.

dude, but i thought house > trance?

Posted by in2muzikk on Feb-25-2012 09:07:

quote:
Originally posted by Revealed
Oh they already do this at exchange too btw. I forget what they charge for water there, but it was more than $5/bottle...

I think it was $7 when I was there awhile back for Cosmic Gate, but it was a nice looking bottle with water from New Zealand... New Zealand is a pretty place and it comes a long way on a boat, plus it's $4.50 when refilled in the bathroom including a $1 tip to the attendant. I would never do that, saw some others doing it though...

Posted by in2muzikk on Feb-25-2012 09:16:

quote:
Originally posted by jdub889
dude, but i thought house > trance?

progressive house > tech trance > techno > progressive techno < rotterdam techno > acid techno < trance > tribal > house < chicago house < progressive trance > industrial > deep house < space house > electro < electro house > neo trance < acid house > detroit techno > minimal > ambient > dirty dutch house > jungle < progressive breaks > hard trance > breakbeat < dnb <> dubstep

Pages (2): [1] 2 »