TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Production Studio
-- orchestral and world samples

Posted by atxbigballer1 on Feb-21-2012 22:13:

orchestral and world samples

orchestral and world samples
what are the best?

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Feb-21-2012 22:16:

rather vague.

you are basically asking what is the best synth.
For what ?

There is no all out best. They suck in on way or another and none can replace an orchestra so it depends on your needs. I would just get Kontakts big collection. Has a bit of everything.

The best orchestral I suppose would be VSL but that would cost you about 10 000.

Posted by atxbigballer1 on Feb-21-2012 22:22:

I want to remake this on my pc for fun!

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Feb-21-2012 22:34:

How well ?
What is your budget ?

the hardest thing to do are winds which ironically has the less amount of choice mainly due to the lower level of composition in films lately in that composing for winds is harder and well , they have disapeared in the last 10- 20 years.

John WIllians is rather orchestral and VSL is probably the only library that can do that in any realistic way.

Posted by atxbigballer1 on Feb-21-2012 22:49:

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
How well ?
What is your budget ?
I just want to know whats out there.
I have a keyboard with GM sounds and they sound good better then my roland xv-5050 when I had it, so I am using that and Reason's NN-XT sampler.
I was looking for some old akai s1000 or s3000 sample cds but I don't know of any good ones.
As for vst's I was thinking about NI Kontakt or Steinberg Hypersonic but I rather use NN-XT.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Feb-21-2012 22:53:

Check out

Project Sam *
Audiobros*
WIVI*
Spitfire
Vienna Symphonic Library*
Cinesamples

And if you must, East West. Just beware your money is going to a gigantic dick head.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Feb-21-2012 22:57:

the kontakt package is your best bang for buck. Has a bit of everything.

honestly, you say you want to star wars but you will more likely hack out notes on a keyboard and for that approach the project sam type stuff is probably more what you are looking for. THey are typically called like filler libraries where you have your bass orchestration and add these other libraries to make it sound more realistic and full. They sound great but aren't really meant to be used with traditional orchestration.

Posted by J.L. on Feb-21-2012 23:26:

Take a look at this.

Like L4C said, Vienna is the way to go if you want to get a decent sound. I recommend getting started with the special edition, but that's gonna be around 600-700$ a pop and it's not cheap.

East-West may appear to sound good out of the box, but it's drowned out with unecessary fx and sounds heavily processed. You want something that comes dry, so that you can add your own flavour of fx depending on the use and needs. I also recommend a good convolution reverb with a good amount of impulse samples.

But beware, orchestration is not for the faint of heart. It is very different from composing in EDM, and you really need to understand how instruments are played, how they are articulated, the position and panning and depth of instruments, and how they combine to really get something that doesn't sound like someone sat down and drew notes on a computer.

Posted by atxbigballer1 on Feb-21-2012 23:58:

Thanks guys
I also found this on google.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high...brary-best.html

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Feb-22-2012 02:54:

honestly,

it depends on what you want to do. DO you really want to instrument each instrument ? Or would you rather play like chords and do whole sections at a time. That will dictate what is best for you.

VSL is great but in the hands of an idiot, it is useless while say Symphobia sounds great if you just play 2 notes.

And for world samples, again, what part of the world. Percussion or instruments ? SoundIron and 8dio , Sonokinetic, sonicouture are all small companies that have some really great affordable librairies. Best Service has a great one , EW as well has a few that are specific.

Posted by tehlord on Feb-22-2012 10:03:

Just get Kontakt as L4C said, the included orchestral samples aren't bad at all, and you'll need it to fire up a lot of the decent commercial libraries anyway.

It's more about what you know than what you use anyway. I've heard some pretty stunning orchestral compositions come out of libraries that are pretty basic because the dude making them a) knows how to orchestrate (or it's electronic alternative) and b) knows what the strengths and weaknesses of that particular library are.

Kontakt also includes some of the older VSL samples which although limited, offer some nice layering possibilities.

Posted by cryophonik on Feb-22-2012 22:39:

I think by now you have good answers from the resident experts on orchestral instruments, but I'll just add that I have EWQL Gold and the VSL Epic Orchestra that is bundled with Vienna Ensemble Pro. Between the two, I think the VSL sounds better overall, but EWQL has more instruments and is cheaper than most of the others mentioned so far, particularly if you can hold off for one of their 2-for-1 sales that they run pretty regularly.

As for the world instruments, I have both EWQL Ra and Silk. Silk sounds better overall IMO, but has fewer instruments, whereas Ra is much more diverse. MOTU Ethno 2 is probably even more diverse, although I have Ethno 1 and the quality of the samples generally ranges from meh to decent compared to the EWQL libraries. Ethno World 5 from Best Service is supposedly very good, but I've never used it and it's very expensive.

Posted by atxbigballer1 on Feb-23-2012 05:25:

quote:
And for world samples, again, what part of the world.

Stuff like the Roland SRX-09 World Collection Expansion Board.

quote:
honestly,
it depends on what you want to do. DO you really want to instrument each instrument ? Or would you rather play like chords and do whole sections at a time. That will dictate what is best for you.

well idk yet I have some starswars .midi files going to brake them all down in reaper and use some GM sounds off my yamaha and reason's nn-xt sampler and use what sounds the best and go from there.
hell I need to check out them plug-ins y'all talked about.

Posted by Normie on Feb-23-2012 05:43:

quote:
Originally posted by atxbigballer1
Stuff like the Roland SRX-09 World Collection Expansion Board.

well idk yet I have some starswars .midi files going to brake them all down in reaper and use some GM sounds off my yamaha and reason's nn-xt sampler and use what sounds the best and go from there.
hell I need to check out them plug-ins y'all talked about.

If you have a min., PM me about your experiences integrating Reason and Reaper. I'm a Reaper guy and considering Reason to pair up with it.

Posted by atxbigballer1 on Feb-23-2012 06:03:

quote:
Originally posted by Normie
If you have a min., PM me about your experiences integrating Reason and Reaper. I'm a Reaper guy and considering Reason to pair up with it.
Well I just rewire Reason to Reaper and it works good. And If i need to save pcu i just bounce stems.

Posted by Chronosis on Feb-27-2012 10:43:

For strings, 'LA Scoring Strings' can sound very nice when properly used. But it costs ~$1k and takes 40GB+ of space, so you better be somewhat serious.