TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Past Events
-- 2010.12.31 [LA] Together As One New Year's Eve
Pages (8): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »

Posted by DjWoody on Jan-01-2011 23:58:

quote:
Originally posted by chlola
Insomniac did put on a great show at The Palladium with Guetta.
So I'll switch my hate stick to Go Ventures.
Who runs that company?

And Go Ventures put up a great show with Monster Massive!!! So they go hand in hand.

Posted by DjWoody on Jan-01-2011 23:59:

quote:
Originally posted by Nerologic
Ya it was a mess. I was supposed to walk in with Luke and crew but like always I never made it to LA on time. But yea I heard Markus set from the clusterfuck trying to get in lol

Afrojack was at Hyde on Thursday, hes been playing a lot of places in LA recently. He will be doing so for a while since he's staying out here so much...

D00d, let me know next time he's in LA. My girl loves him and wants to see him. She was mad cuz she missed him last night and she's never seen him.

Posted by Nerologic on Jan-02-2011 02:23:

quote:
Originally posted by DjWoody
D00d, let me know next time he's in LA. My girl loves him and wants to see him. She was mad cuz she missed him last night and she's never seen him.

Will do, they never advertise him playing but people already know he's going. I will give you a heads up next time I hear something...

Posted by bigperf on Jan-02-2011 02:24:

quote:

if no "raves", then you cant have a bad experience with one!

Posted by Nerologic on Jan-02-2011 02:30:

quote:
Originally posted by bigperf
if no "raves", then you cant have a bad experience with one!

If no beer you can't have bad experience with it either, ban that to? 1920's style?

Posted by bigperf on Jan-02-2011 02:34:

quote:
If no beer you can't have bad experience with it either, ban that to? 1920's style?

sure! if no beer we can't blame it for "beer bellys"! i'm going to try and cut beer and "Raves" out in 2011!

Posted by RPT on Jan-02-2011 02:48:

Markus was sick, the event was a drag. The music was like kiss fm all night. Besides Markus, the event sucked. People couldn't even walk outside. Last massive for a while, wow what a joke.

Posted by jimji1005 on Jan-02-2011 03:43:

Worst experience ever. Got to the lines at 6:30. didn't get in till 9:15. What a waste of fucken time.

And yes

Markus was awesome. But only got to hear 15 minutes of it. Lame.

Think I will stick with clubs for now.

Posted by Contrasts on Jan-02-2011 03:48:

quote:
Ya it was a mess. I was supposed to walk in with Luke and crew but like always I never made it to LA on time. But yea I heard Markus set from the clusterfuck trying to get in lol

Afrojack was at Hyde on Thursday, hes been playing a lot of places in LA recently. He will be doing so for a while since he's staying out here so much...

Ding daga ding...

HOLY FUCK! Please tell me he was playing this song as a prank? Like he was punking the drugged out audience or something? That's pure greatness. AWESOME song...... But on a serious note, for real?

Posted by Nerologic on Jan-02-2011 04:20:

quote:
Originally posted by Contrasts
HOLY FUCK! Please tell me he was playing this song as a prank? Like he was punking the drugged out audience or something? That's pure greatness. AWESOME song...... But on a serious note, for real?

Its kinda both. The 5 people there dancing (luke gina eric tom tony) are the ones that beat boxed it...

Posted by DjWoody on Jan-02-2011 04:41:

Is the girl on the blue dress Luke's girlfriend?

Posted by Nerologic on Jan-02-2011 04:58:

Yes, thats Gina Turner the other half of Nouveau Yorican. Luke played "Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are" for the crowd and you can imagine who else...

Posted by Contrasts on Jan-02-2011 05:12:

quote:
Its kinda both. The 5 people there dancing (luke gina eric tom tony) are the ones that beat boxed it...

Yeaaah, its just bad. Why he play it?

Posted by Nerologic on Jan-02-2011 05:36:

idk

The crowd didn't mind it, I don't see the big deal. He's been playing it at of his recent gigs.

Posted by modthispny on Jan-02-2011 19:47:

He also played that song at ruby Skye the next day...kind of funny but hey it's electro/house..they can get away with playing that kind of stuff ;-)

Posted by able.h on Jan-02-2011 19:51:

quote:
Originally posted by Contrasts
Yeaaah, its just bad. Why he play it?

I think they're just trying to support each other, the correlation: they are both Filipino decent. One being raised in Amsterdam and the other one was being raised in Hawaii. Both are music producers, probably just a way of saying 'respect' to each other.

Markus was great, only caught the last 30 minutes of him (because of the clusterfuck on the southgate) we spent about 1 hour trying to get in to TAO. Although I thought he was playing a little bit slower than usual, not too much of those monster tunes. More progressive trance rather than uplifting, I bet he was saving it for Ruby Skye. He did however close the set pretty solid with Dustin Zahn - Stranger to Stability.

Dada Life - meh, I mean their songs are good, lots of uplifting electro trance, crazy breakdown, so much energy... but it just didnt work for me i just thought there was no feeling to it. They opened their set with Kaskade - Dynasty (Dada Life Remix) and all their songs from that point on sounded all the same for me.

LBL, I personally liked him better when he was at EDC. Bruno mars' just the way you are kinda killed the vibe a little bit, and i was just not too sure when he started playing dub-step.

overall, LA Raves are getting suckier and suckier every year. Unorganized lines, they didn't check IDs or pockets, no more bottle water after 12 midnight, clusterfuck everywhere, saw few fights, saw lots of weirdos, man take me to ibiza instead

Posted by modthispny on Jan-02-2011 20:12:

No water after 12? Wtf?

Markus' set have been deeper as of late..the direction he went at ruby Skye would have surprised all of you..dark and twisted.

He's been playing stranger to stability for over a year now and it's still just as good- what a dancefloor destroyer!

And why would dada life start by playing their best song? Lol

Posted by tkw00t on Jan-02-2011 21:52:

say no to goventures events after this for sure. seriously. the huge ass line would have been justified if there were thorough searches and id checks but none whatsoever when we got there.

after people saying MM was pretty much half empty, thought this event would be the same.

never again.

together as one line.

Posted by Contrasts on Jan-03-2011 00:03:

quote:
Originally posted by modthispny
He also played that song at ruby Skye the next day...kind of funny but hey it's electro/house..they can get away with playing that kind of stuff ;-)

Would of flipped out... lol

Posted by Nerologic on Jan-03-2011 00:48:

Still processing so the vid might be a little rough...

I have some Wolfgang ones as well and the second half of Lukes set, working on that as well.

Posted by darthseph on Jan-03-2011 04:28:

Back at home now... so here's the gist from me:

Friends and I left our hotel around 7:30 and got into the line for parking around 7:45. Not a bad drive time for LA side streets. The parking situation was a mess. We wound up spending over an hour and a half driving around in a circle near the venue waiting for them to open a lot. We were at the point of frustration and willing to pay $60 in one of those side lots for parking when they opened a side street to parking in the confines near the science center. I was pissed with how long it took, but I kind of expected it.

Once we parked we went to the entrance of the North/East entrance. The line was a mess there for admission (we had hard tickets so no need for the Groovetickets mess). We walked all the way around to the other massive block of people at the main entrance. People supposedly waited for over three hours in line, but within 10 minutes of standing, the mass of people moved slowly but surely into the event. No ID checks happened for anyone in our party and the pat down seemed pretty quick.

At this point, Dada Life was on so we meandered our way to the TAO tent. I've never seen so many rude people as I had at this event. All the shoving and pushing made no sense, and really set the tone for the less than stellar atmosphere the crowd had. Catching the tail end of Dada was fine as I didn't really get into what they were playing all that much. It indeed all blended together as another stated, though their own tracks did stand out. Also, when they chose to drop On/Off by Cirez D I thought I could hear crickets in the crowd. Absolutely no one seemed to be moving our dancing in the tent most of the night in my opinion.

Luke played a good set. Not a great set like his EDC set in my opinion, but still was pretty much on point. The spoof song Nero posted earlier was well past midnight and towards the end of his set, in which of course Luke dropped the real track out of it. The really really lacked enthusiasm in my opinion and it showed a lot as my friends and I went to the back area of the tent (had been in the middle of the middle roughly and got tired of the constant cross traffic shoving) to dance and still couldn't find people dancing. Why are you at a dance music event and not dancing? It's just dumb to me. Maybe it was different in VIP or something.

We stuck around and met one of our friends off by the VIP entrance for the beginning of Wolfgang's set. We wound up sticking around for maybe 45 mins, but I couldn't get into the vibe he was playing. I know it sounds bad but I expected him to play more like his songs and what not, but I only heard maybe 1 or 2 of his big tracks and they didn't really fit the flow for me at that point. It could just have been the crowd started bugging me to a point I didn't like anything anymore. lol

We wound up going over to the Bassrush stage for the last 45 minutes to check out El Hornet of Pendulum. He smashed the DnB stage with some great fills from Prodigy and loads of the Pendulum back catalog. We stuck around there until about 0145 and then headed out.

It definitely wasn't a bad way to spend New Years, but I never really enjoyed the crowd's interaction all night. It seemed like people jut came to go and not to have fun and enjoy the music, but that's just my vantage point. The event was poorly organized (Who the f**k has a bad mixer on the "headlining" stage? Both Luke and Wolfgang complained of it later on twitter, though they enjoyed their sets), and the line/ID check thing was a joke... someone needs to pick up the EDC method badly or risk less people coming in the future. I'm looking forward to the next EDC and that's about it now in LA until I see some improvements from Go Ventures.

Posted by Contrasts on Jan-03-2011 06:14:

Did anyone see the clipping they had on ABC news yesterday or the day before? Don't think they said deaths, but lots of OD'S. They kept calling it the R word too ;D

Posted by GPC on Jan-03-2011 20:03:

What a joke. Took 45 minutes to get thru the VIP security check and I cut 80% of the line. Only had 3 people checking. GA looked like a nightmare. I would call them fucking amateurs but they have been in the business too long so I just have to assume they don't give a shit. I had friends say it took them 2 hours to get thru VIP.

Markus played a great set! Closing track not one of my favorites but the crowd always seems to like it. We only went for Markus but missed some of his set in line. At least the VIP entrance was right next to his stage so I got to hear it.

As soon as he was done we bailed and went to Avalon. Was never so glad to leave an event. Walked right in to Avalon. Zero wait. Digweed was amazing as always. Great countdown too!

Posted by sweetcandy girl on Jan-03-2011 20:14:

Only went to TAO to see Markus that that was it... but what an adventure that was.

We left Greg's place around 6 figuring that would give us enough time to get to the Sports Arena, find parking and get in before 8. WRONG!!!

Traffic was a mess and when we got there so was parking. We could have drove around to find a spot but there was really no signs saying where the lots where at. So we paid $40 to park at a random gas station. We even told the guy that we would only be there for about 2 hours and asked for a discount. FAIL! Guy made $80 on that one spot.

Greg and I ran to get our tickets. We saw so many cops on the way! It was crazy!!! I even saw the riot ones gear up and rush to the area. Mind you it is only a little after 7 or so. The GA line was all ready a cluster fuck! It looked like a big glob of people not moving at all.

We got our VIP tickets and walked to the line. It looked like smooth sailing there for a bit and then it stopped. The girls where all the way to the right and the guys where in a mass. Greg and I got separated since the girl line was faster. I had to ask a random to see if Greg could wait close to me.

For awhile the line was not moving at all. There where no rails separating the individual lines for the guys just a huge mass that wasn't moving.

It was 8pm and I was still in line and not happy. Once I get in Greg is no where to be seen. So I wait near the fence. and keep waiting. I walk over every once in awhile to check out Markus and go back to see if Greg made it in.

45 minutes later he is finally in!!!! WTF!!! There where only 3 guys searching!!! If Greg didn't push threw he would have missed Markus set completely!!!
I heard that some people waited over an hour in the VIP line to get in!!! that is retarded!!! People do not pay $150 or more and then have to wait!!!! We expect to get in quickly.

At least the VIP area was set up nicer this year with the seating area and the multiple bars. However the bathrooms where all ready clogged by 9pm!!!!! The Vip "viewing area" was a little better as well.

Markus killed it!!! Had the whole place going off! After Markus set we took off running to the car to make it to Avalon. Made it to Avalon in good time and with our tickets we where in less then 5 minutes!

Posted by trance_seeker on Jan-03-2011 23:08:

I was regretting not going to TAO before Digweed, but it sounds like I probably would not have gotten in time anyways. Since I was only going to stay there for mostly Markus I was just going to get GA. Hearing these horror stories about the VIP line, I wonder how long the wait was in the GA line

Pages (8): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »