tranceaddict Forums

tranceaddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Production Studio
-- Best VST for arpeggio design?
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »

Posted by daeus on Feb-01-2010 19:41:

Best VST for arpeggio design?

Anyone got any pointers?

I'm also quite interested in out-putting the midi data from the VST in to Cubase's MIDI track to allow more editing of the arpeggio which I know is possible with some VST's.

I like FM8's in-built designer and will look for a way to output this to midi data.

Posted by cryophonik on Feb-01-2010 19:48:

Have you checked out 7Aliens Catanya?

Posted by daeus on Feb-01-2010 20:26:

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik

Wow you might have just found the best arpeggio designer EVER.

Posted by cryophonik on Feb-01-2010 20:33:

quote:
Originally posted by daeus
Wow you might have just found the best arpeggio designer EVER.

Yeah, it is quite the beast - and a decent price too, considering its unique capabilities. Did you watch the video for your specific DAW? It shows you exactly how to go about recording the MIDI notes from an arp pattern in Catanya into your piano roll.

Posted by TranceLover007 on Feb-01-2010 20:42:

Jeezzz, how did I missed this one - nice job (as always) Dave.

Thanks

Posted by DJ RANN on Feb-01-2010 22:23:

quote:

Fuck, that looks absolutely great Dave. Bargain at 45eur too.

If only they made it as an AU

Posted by cammaxwell on Feb-01-2010 22:47:

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
If only they made it as an AU

+1

Posted by Magnus on Feb-02-2010 01:57:

quote:

Beat me to it Cryo! Just discovered this myself last week and highly recommend taking a look at it.

Posted by aNYthing on Feb-02-2010 07:35:

What about rolling your own in a midi sequencer? I was playing with runnng midi from track 1 to track 2 and then overdubbing with a delay resulted in some nice patterns.

It's primitive but there's certain element of pride, having done it yourself.

Also, I found sylenth and gladiator arps quite inspiring, just can't figure out how to dump the midi pattern out.

Posted by DJ Robby Rox on Feb-02-2010 09:53:

Nothing primitive about it, a cheap price tag for how much inspiration its given me so far. And yes, excellent find Dave. One of the coolest things I've seen since I came upon Improvisator, which I still use a lot till this day. Love little midi tools like these they're a lot of fun to help generate ideas.

Posted by mfitterer1 on Feb-02-2010 12:15:

quote:

I have this and it is the nuts. Nothing better on the market I looked for a long time.

Posted by DjStephenWiley on Feb-02-2010 15:22:

damnit....don't let the catanya secret get out :/ - all the noobs are going to go wild now

Posted by kaih on Feb-02-2010 16:51:

i know this is gonna sound crazy but how about programming your own.

Posted by Acton on Feb-02-2010 17:15:

quote:
Originally posted by DjStephenWiley
all the noobs are going to go wild now

I know, for more knowledgeable users it's a great tool. But I can see most using it as a melody generator, more so than a standard arp. There goes creativity.

Posted by cryophonik on Feb-02-2010 17:16:

quote:
Originally posted by kaih

I'm quite certain that everybody here is familiar with that concept and quite capable of doing so. But, the OP did not ask "how do i create arpeggio?" He asked a very specific question and, in doing so, got a recommendation for a tool that will accomplish his goal.

Posted by TranceLover007 on Feb-02-2010 17:19:

quote:
damnit....don't let the catanya secret get out :/ - all the noobs are going to go wild now

Damn it - you must be talking about me

Please don't tell this to anybody LOL

Posted by cryophonik on Feb-02-2010 17:21:

quote:

Secret? Maybe on TA, but Catanya is certainly no secret. Hell, spend 2 minutes on KVR and you'll undoubtedly see the huge yellow ad with the "shhhhsing" redhead and the countless posts (even whole threads!) complaining about the ad.

Posted by kaih on Feb-02-2010 17:44:

quote:
I'm quite certain that everybody here is familiar with that concept and quite capable of doing so. But, the OP did not ask "how do i create arpeggio?" He asked a very specific question and, in doing so, got a recommendation for a tool that will accomplish his goal.

I simply meant since the two built in critically acclaimed arpeggiators already built into cubase apparently couldnt do the job, that maybe another method was needed. Theres no need to be a passive agressive dick about it.

Posted by cryophonik on Feb-02-2010 17:51:

quote:

quote:
Theres no need to be a passive agressive dick about it.

Posted by TranceLover007 on Feb-02-2010 17:53:

quote:
Theres no need to be a passive agressive dick about it.

What is going on here????. Is this a different form/way of saying Thank you, damn it, I guess.

It was good found - thanks Dave.

Posted by cryophonik on Feb-02-2010 17:58:

quote:
Originally posted by TranceLover007

It was good found - thanks Dave.

No problem, 007!

Posted by StephenWiley on Feb-02-2010 19:04:

Thesys is much better and is from a much more reputable company. It blows Catanya away. Just forget about Catanya and check out Thesys if you want the goods. It'll practically make tracks for you.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3973.html

Posted by cryophonik on Feb-02-2010 19:16:

quote:
Originally posted by StephenWiley
Thesys is much better... It blows Catanya away. Just forget about Catanya and check out Thesys if you want the goods.

Thesys and Catanya are two very different plugins and have different purposes. Thesys cannot do what Catanya does and vice-versa. Catanya simply arpeggiates the chords that you play into it using preset or user-defined patterns and it lets you export the pattern for further editing in your piano roll. Thesys can't do that - it's a step generator, not an arpeggiator. That said, I have both, and I agree that Thesys is a more usable and more diverse plugin, particularly for working with hardware.

Posted by StephenWiley on Feb-02-2010 19:43:

Just trying to take the attention away from Catanya. Last thing we need is people thinking they can make a track out of a few chords.

Posted by cryophonik on Feb-02-2010 19:51:

quote:
Originally posted by StephenWiley
Last thing we need is people thinking they can make a track out of a few chords.

Most of my tracks are made out of a few chords.

Seriously though, I hear you, but I don't see the problem with tools like this. If a complete newb can find a way to create a masterpiece using something like Catanya, I say more power to him. In reality, it doesn't happen that way. Producers often seem to be more caught up in the process and whether or not other producers have "paid their dues" than they are in the final product. The best producers, musicians, and composers will consistently put out good work and get the most out of their tools, the fakers usually don't.

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »