TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- The movie recommendations thread, son
Pages (103): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 »


Posted by MrJiveBoJingles on Jul-26-2010 20:22:

Sale numbers aren't much of a way to judge a product one way or another. Many good products sell, but so do lots of shit ones.


Posted by The17sss on Jul-26-2010 20:24:

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle
The people behind these movies want to make them and obviously have investors that agree.

P.S. I loved Green Zone


You caught Green Zone while it was in the theater for that week? lol

I'm willing to bet that if said investors are smart, they won't invest in a money losing trend a 2nd time.


Posted by LeopoldStotch on Jul-26-2010 20:24:

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle
I didn't say it had a right to exist, I just explained the reason, which I suspect you already knew. If you want quality films, they're out there, just don't look to Hollywood. It's like ordering a rare prime rib at McDonalds.



Most of Hollywood is a cliche, why can't they have theirs too? These themes are representations of many lives in America. If you dislike it so much, let your feelings be justified in dismal box office sales if it turns out that way. The people behind these movies want to make them and obviously have investors that agree.

P.S. I loved Green Zone


i do agree there are quality films out there. it's hard to find, and you need to do your own research what you feel is good. these days, i feel 1 out of 10 movies i see in the theater or trailers is actually good.


Posted by LeopoldStotch on Jul-26-2010 20:25:

quote:
Originally posted by MrJiveBoJingles
Sale numbers aren't much of a way to judge a product one way or another. Many good products sell, but so do lots of shit ones.


kids and chic flic movies. enough said.


Posted by The17sss on Jul-26-2010 21:09:

back on topic... anyone see this trailer yet? This looks like it has epic potential from a purely character driven standpoint.


Biutiful starring Javier Bardem:


Posted by gehzumteufel on Jul-26-2010 21:46:

quote:
Originally posted by The17sss
lol... come on Ben. Platoon, Born on the 4th of July, and Full Metal Jacket were very much anti war and about the same type of harsh realities. Today's anti war movies are so much more about Hollywood pushing ideology than "the difficult truth", which is why they bomb. A good product sells, end of story.

Those are basically considered classics or at least cult hits.


Posted by Jarvmeister on Jul-26-2010 22:39:

quote:
Originally posted by The17sss
back on topic... anyone see this trailer yet? This looks like it has epic potential from a purely character driven standpoint.


Biutiful starring Javier Bardem:



Fuck me that looks good!


Posted by chimera66 on Jul-26-2010 22:48:

quote:
Originally posted by The17sss
Biutiful starring Javier Bardem:

will keep my eyes open hadn't seen this yet. considering it did well at cannes should be interesting at the very least.


Posted by LeopoldStotch on Jul-26-2010 23:23:

quote:
Originally posted by The17sss
back on topic... anyone see this trailer yet? This looks like it has epic potential from a purely character driven standpoint.


Biutiful starring Javier Bardem:



very tempting, especially with this being inarritu film. underrated director('amores perros','21 grams','babel').


Posted by The17sss on Jul-27-2010 02:33:

quote:
Originally posted by Jarvmeister
Fuck me that looks good!


for some reason the video clarity is much better on this link


http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3934586393/


Posted by WittyHandle on Jul-27-2010 03:37:

quote:
Originally posted by The17sss
A good product sells, end of story.


Even though I already quoted this and commented on it before, I'd just like to say that while I've never felt the need for an avatar, location, or anything like that, this statement is so ridiculous it almost made me look into how to how to turn it into a signature.

And Biutiful does look excellent. Very much looking forward to it. Looks like a release date is still up in the air at this point.


Posted by chimera66 on Jul-27-2010 05:45:

just watched the boy in the striped pyjamas, it's a holocaust film centered around two 8 yr old boys. definitely a good movie but be prepared to be utterly depressed once it's over.


Posted by gehzumteufel on Jul-27-2010 05:55:

quote:
Originally posted by chimera66
just watched the boy in the striped pyjamas, it's a holocaust film centered around two 8 yr old boys. definitely a good movie but be prepared to be utterly depressed once it's over.


I saw this about a year ago. Absolutely loved the movie.


Posted by The17sss on Jul-27-2010 06:38:

quote:
Originally posted by gehzumteufel
I saw this about a year ago. Absolutely loved the movie.


Glad you mentioned this. I wanted to see it but missed it when it was in the theater. I forgot about it but you just reminded me


quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle
Even though I already quoted this and commented on it before, I'd just like to say that while I've never felt the need for an avatar, location, or anything like that, this statement is so ridiculous it almost made me look into how to how to turn it into a signature.


haha what's wrong with that statement? "A good product sells"... wow that's bordering on the occult! Don't confuse that statement as being synonymous with "a shitty product doesn't sell".


Posted by shaw on Jul-28-2010 01:35:

quote:
Originally posted by The17sss
Hollywood doesn't get that their reality isn't reflected in mainstream America, but they try try try nevertheless to keep putting lipstick on that pig. That's why movies like this and all those anti war films bomb at the box office (see Green Zone, Rendition, In The Valley of Elah, etc.).


They can't help themselves. If they could, they'd look at this and realize that none of what you're referring to sells, advertised or not:

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm


Posted by WittyHandle on Jul-28-2010 04:55:

quote:
Originally posted by The17sss
haha what's wrong with that statement? "A good product sells"... wow that's bordering on the occult! Don't confuse that statement as being synonymous with "a shitty product doesn't sell".


I'm sure everyone can think of a movie they see as incredible that didn't rake it in. The relationship between quality and sales is far from linear. The people behind the movies that you seem to think are such an affront to humanity generally aren't expecting to crack the boxofficemojo top 100 list. While you may see them as products, many people still consider film art, an expression of what matters to them, and they can cover their costs plus make a couple bucks in doing so. They probably don't care if Billy Ray and Bobby sue in Nebraska spend their hay ride money on tickets to see their movie. They are happy that the Americans they do represent enjoy them and pay to do so.



Looks so awesome, probably going to suck, but still I can't wait


Posted by EgosXII on Jul-28-2010 06:28:

quote:
Originally posted by The17sss



what a brilliant trailer :O

you end up with no fkn idea what the films about, but immediately want to watch it

Javier was soooo awesome in no country for old men as well, will be great to see him in another role! (edit: Searching him up i see he's actually done heaps, but i havn't seen any of em )


Posted by LAdazeNYnights on Jul-28-2010 07:53:

quote:
Originally posted by EgosXII
what a brilliant trailer :O

you end up with no fkn idea what the films about, but immediately want to watch it

Javier was soooo awesome in no country for old men as well, will be great to see him in another role! (edit: Searching him up i see he's actually done heaps, but i havn't seen any of em )


out of his work i've seen vicky christina barcelona, goya's ghosts, love in the time of cholera, and of course no country.

i liked him the most in love in the time of cholera. check it out !


Posted by bas on Jul-28-2010 08:25:

quote:
Originally posted by shaw
lol @ midnight meat train. possibly one of the worst endings I've ever seen. 100%

The movie started ok, then got progressively worse and worse. Just an unrelenting downward march toward ridiculousness.

That movie was fucking hilarious, poor Bradley Cooper

And +180347103884 to Sucker Punch, that looks BAD ASS.


Posted by LAdazeNYnights on Jul-28-2010 08:31:

midnight meat train was based on a short story though yeah? clive owen from his books of blood i think. those really got me going in like 8th grade late at night haha. i didn't exactly like the movie...but i guess knowing what was gonna happen shielded me from the unintentional humor. difficult to translate a horror short story to a feature length film. i have a feeling it's been done quite a lot - but nothing really comes to mind right now.


Posted by Halcyon+On+On on Jul-28-2010 08:42:

Yes, Clive Owen, the same guy who wrote the Hallraiser series.


Posted by LAdazeNYnights on Jul-28-2010 08:48:

quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On
Yes, Clive Owen, the same guy who wrote the Hallraiser series.


Learn something new every day. I suppose he was pretty familiar with having his works adapted. I've yet to watch the Hellraiser movies. I write them off as 'slasher flicks' and I'm really not a big fan of that whole genre. But to be perfectly honest--that image of that guy pretty much just scares the shit out of me...


Posted by bas on Jul-28-2010 08:54:

I was just reading up on the Hellraiser series the other night. Apparently as the movie series went on it became more and more bastardized, I think Clive was only involved in the first 2 or 3. 4-8 were just the names and that's when it turned to shit. It's actually quite an interesting storyline.

There's also comics. I believe those stay truer to Clive's original idea.


Posted by Meat187 on Jul-28-2010 09:07:

quote:
Originally posted by bas
I was just reading up on the Hellraiser series the other night. Apparently as the movie series went on it became more and more bastardized, I think Clive was only involved in the first 2 or 3. 4-8 were just the names and that's when it turned to shit. It's actually quite an interesting storyline.

There's also comics. I believe those stay truer to Clive's original idea.


Watch 1 and 2. Then stop.


Posted by LAdazeNYnights on Jul-28-2010 09:10:

was about to follow your advice there - at least start by watching the first one...but they aren't on netflix 'watch instantly'. i love watching scary stuff before bed too...no idea what to watch now.


Pages (103): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 »

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright © 2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.