TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- DJ Booth
-- Why do Dj's Turn Knobs During Songs??? Is It Just To Make Them Look Busy???
Pages (2): [1] 2 »

Posted by MIKE333ACE on Apr-01-2012 22:27:

Dunno Why do Dj's Turn Knobs During Songs??? Is It Just To Make Them Look Busy???

Just a simple question that I want to ask because I am soing my first ever Dj gig this weekend. I simply want to know what on earth Dj's are doing when they turn knobs during the middle of a song, because I dont notice any change. Is it just to make them look busy or are they actually doing something.

Any help on this would be great, also, if anyone can give me a few handy tips for me for Dj'ing, that would be great,

Cheers

MH

Posted by Rodri Santos on Apr-01-2012 22:50:

99% of the times they are doing nothing but looking fancy during the song but maybe they are setting the eqs of another channel, checking if all the eqs are in the position their wish, adding some colour to a build up... there are several indicators that show you how good is a dj without listening to their set and this is the kind of thing that is lame.

Posted by Juan Paulino on Apr-02-2012 00:55:

are you serious?

Posted by Fledz on Apr-02-2012 06:44:

There is no standard in mixing and mastering. Not only are levels generally all over the shop, but an adjustment to EQ often helps. So, I find that the gain knob often isn't enough and therefore also use the EQs to give the track a slight nudge and make it sit better with the previous track.

Posted by rozella99 on Apr-02-2012 08:36:

There are several indicators that show you how good is a dj without listening to their set and this is the kind of thing that is lame.

Posted by Targus28 on Apr-02-2012 13:16:

Because a lot of them are pretentious ****s

Posted by itsamemario on Apr-03-2012 01:40:

I think the reason they are turning the knobs is because the knobs on the mixer/controller is set up to control various parameters that modulate the sound in different way depending on which knob they are turning.

Posted by ZeeRobot1 on Apr-04-2012 00:43:

There is a difference between adjusting EQ's and twisting those EFX like a school yard bully giving a titty twisters. Tryingtolookliketheyknowwhattheyaredoingbuthavenoidea

Posted by Cedric K. on Apr-17-2012 21:36:

quote:
Originally posted by dj_alfi
I think the reason they are turning the knobs is because the knobs on the mixer/controller is set up to control various parameters that modulate the sound in different way depending on which knob they are turning.

HAHA epic!!

Posted by DJRYAN™ on Apr-18-2012 01:43:

the real answer to this question is you are building up, and breaking down the song via the EQ. If you haven't noticed listening to live sets, very rarely do dj's use effects besides on the ends of phrases, or throughout the build. Customairly one would add an Echo / Delay effect, coupled with bringing up or accenting the high's, mid's or bass parts essentially creating or simulating a greater rise or more pronounced lift to whatever the melody, riser, or noise, is doing. It also assists in creating more tension and exicting a key part of a song even more.

Also, when one is mixing, having two records playing simultaneously, and usually over and a top another track. EQing, or what your referring to as turning knobs, is blending the two tracks together to create a cohesive mix.

If your just starting out, begin with tbe bass. and start turning that "knob" to blend in with the bass of the track your bringing in or mixing out. Whichever you prefer.

Also, you'll notice when tracks are properly phrased, HiHats usually come in on the second phrase after the drop, so with that knowledge, you may want to EQ the highs so that you have only one percussion element sitting prominently within the mix.

Unless, the two rhythms have corresponding steps at which point you'll be able to play both. However, its still fun to stagger, or cut your highs, bass or mid's and introduce them at strategic parts throughout your mix.

Some do this quickly, while others tend to mix slowly. Its really a matter of taste and what genre you spin.

I'd also recommend that you look at the cutoff db's on your mixer. Some mixers like Rane have complete cutoff so that you don't hear the hi/mid/bass frequency at all. There are also mixers out there with cut buttons that simulate a greater reduction in volume of whatever frquency you're trying to reduce and opposingly enhance.

Also, and probably more professional (these days) is filter mixing which is integrated into the Pioneer DJM2000. This approach to mixing completley eliminates the frequency all together with absolutely no db being heard until swept it.

This emans that you can have the kick and the bass of one track playing perfectly with the mids and highs of another track with no audible sounds coming from the frquencies you've swept off.

Very cool and what a lot of the pro's are doing.

Anyways, this is just a mile high overview of what dj's are doing when they're turning knobs.

Posted by Cathleen81 on Apr-18-2012 06:20:

if anyone can give me a few handy tips for me for Dj'ing, that would be great,

Posted by EddieZilker on Apr-20-2012 03:33:

Thread

Posted by jeffw1999 on Apr-20-2012 05:17:

if anyone can give me a few handy tips for me for Dj'ing, that would be great,

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Apr-29-2012 20:50:

Re: Thread

quote:
Originally posted by EddieZilker

were those dj advice tips or pro tips.

To answer your question, most djs use an app called Bomes midi translator. What this does is recognize certain midi strings and converts it to say text or an action/script. Basically, these knob turns are triggering Bomes to send an sms to the dealer for say , more cocaine, or give the girl at my 2 oclock some sexy pills. The great thing about this program is that you can really control the output by say the speed of the turn, or direction. So you can give literally 4 commands per knob. x 3 knobs on the channel you aren't using. And this doesn't include macro commands

12 commands.

need cocaine.
need meth
need cocaine and meth with a dash of vicodin
bring lime juice, a spoon and a clean syringe
bring me my premixed set [] A,B,C,D ...
give hot girl at [angle] [drugs]
give hot boy at [angle] [drugs]
kick the black guy out.

Posted by jayxthekoolest on Apr-29-2012 21:47:

quote:
Originally posted by Rodri Santos
99% of the times they are doing nothing but looking fancy during the song but maybe they are setting the eqs of another channel, checking if all the eqs are in the position their wish, adding some colour to a build up... there are several indicators that show you how good is a dj without listening to their set and this is the kind of thing that is lame.

Exactly. It pleases the crowd. I've seen Tiesto turn knobs at key points just to look like he's doing something.

I honestly can't blame them though. I would do it too!

Posted by jayxthekoolest on Apr-29-2012 21:48:

Re: Re: Thread

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney

To answer your question, most djs use an app called Bomes midi translator. What this does is recognize certain midi strings and converts it to say text or an action/script. Basically, these knob turns are triggering Bomes to send an sms to the dealer for say , more cocaine, or give the girl at my 2 oclock some sexy pills. The great thing about this program is that you can really control the output by say the speed of the turn, or direction. So you can give literally 4 commands per knob. x 3 knobs on the channel you aren't using. And this doesn't include macro commands

12 commands.

need cocaine.
need meth
kick the black guy out.

This post says a lot about you. Clearly you enjoy doing illegal drugs.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Apr-29-2012 22:16:

yu[, i also like to drug boys and girls and fuck them. I also hate black people. I mean i said that too.

or i'm having a go at djs. My humour is not intended for low medium to high more on the retard spectrum. And if you must know , all the drugs I do are quite legal and regardless of the few times a year i might go to down , I am as clean as that gay dude on that home cleaner with the bald head.

I suggest you have someone navigate your way around my thoughts next time. Thanks Korky.

Posted by jayxthekoolest on Apr-29-2012 22:27:

quote:
yu[, i also like to drug boys and girls and fuck them. I also hate black people. I mean i said that too.

or i'm having a go at djs. My humour is not intended for low medium to high more on the retard spectrum. And if you must know , all the drugs I do are quite legal and regardless of the few times a year i might go to down , I am as clean as that gay dude on that home cleaner with the bald head.

I suggest you have someone navigate your way around my thoughts next time. Thanks Korky.

I wasn't hating. I think your posts are the best on the forum.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Apr-29-2012 22:30:

i mean if we are going to psycho analyze things. the fact you think my post indicates my drug habits when it clearly is aimed at djs would say more about your habit than mine. So there. You just got psycho-anal-ized.

Posted by jayxthekoolest on Apr-29-2012 22:31:

quote:
i mean if we are going to psycho analyze things. the fact you think my post indicates my drug habits when it clearly is aimed at djs would say more about your habit than mine. So there. You just got psycho-anal-ized.

lol wut

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Apr-29-2012 22:37:

i fucked you with your own dick and you can't walk.

Posted by jayxthekoolest on Apr-29-2012 23:29:

quote:
i fucked you with your own dick and you can't walk.

Well that's besides the point.

Posted by Rodri Santos on Apr-30-2012 00:12:

Re: Re: Thread

quote:

12 commands.

need cocaine.
need meth
kick the black guy out.

haha this made me laugh. OT the problem of some styles is that you have like 2 minutes where you don't know what to do. You can jump,clap, touch the eqs, have a shot... i've a variety of jesus poses to do also. My fav one yesterday, a full bottle of the best vodka i've ever taken, great laughs drinking it with the others on the booth and smoking, a lot of people surely though we were doing cocaine.

Posted by PivotTechno on Apr-30-2012 03:58:

Re: Re: Re: Thread

quote:
Originally posted by Rodri Santos
a lot of people surely though we were doing cocaine.

No, they didn't, and please stop pretending you're at the same level of accomplishment as DJ RYAN™, because no one's buying what you're selling.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Apr-30-2012 17:02:

nothing lamer than a sausage party in a dj booth living out their failed highschool dreams of being cool. We made it dude, we are djs nobody will remember in 6 hours, we are doing blow and the fog of alcohol makes our ugly over weight lame douchebag selves seem alright.

Pages (2): [1] 2 »