TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Canada - Montreal
-- Farina at Stereo soon please?

Posted by spiderpig on Mar-16-2012 14:52:

Farina at Stereo soon please?

Anyone have any hints as to when Mark is coming back to Montreal? It's almost a year now since he's been right?

Posted by otown Matt on Mar-16-2012 17:48:

OMG OMG, thank you for starting this tread!

Last time was last April, and god it was a stellar night! ...

PLEASE STEREO book him soon!!!!!

I even went as far as emailing the contact email on markfarina.net asking about Canadian gigs for 2012 ... someone actually wrote back and said Canada is on their radar for 2012, i just hope it isn't just Van and TO.

FARINA for a good 6 hrs in ((( ))) is always a good time!!!

Posted by Spin Laden on Mar-16-2012 18:26:

+1

Posted by The Highroller on Mar-17-2012 01:40:

+10

Farina is probably the only DJ who has never moved from my top 3 spot over the years. He's consistent, talented, and has a unique sound that no one else plays. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing him at Stereo yet, but the next time he's in town, I certainly hope I can make it.

Posted by WittyHandle on Mar-17-2012 03:12:

Here's the recording of his set here in Vermont the night before he played Stereo last time. Some friends who saw him in MTL said he played very similar, so it should be good for anyone who went who wants to relive it.

Part 2 http://www.mediafire.com/?5rni25khfm6fvnb

Part 3 http://www.mediafire.com/?5488500d9e4qqsb

Part 1 was the opening DJ.

Posted by Spin Laden on Mar-17-2012 23:16:

nice share, thanks

Posted by otown Matt on Mar-19-2012 11:28:

bad news guys. after speaking to someone who works for Stereo this past Sunday morning (at Vibe), the likelihood of Farina getting booked at Stereo is slim to none. I was told, and unfortunately it does make sense, that the new generation of kids at Stereo don't give a shit about this type of booking. Whether it would be Farina, Heather, Carter, it doesn't matter, they don't like that sound. Farina's last visit didn't draw a big crowd at all (which means they probably lost money), and as such, I don't think Farina will be booked at Stereo.

And judging from the limited response on this board to this thread, it looks like there are only 4 or 5 TA's that would go anywayz.

Sucks, but changing times means old skool househeads are the only ones who want to see Farina anymore.

I was kinda devastated when I heard this

Posted by Marcus007 on Mar-19-2012 17:21:

why dont they book him in a smaller venue?

Posted by ostrich on Mar-19-2012 18:45:

farina's beats + alcohol = win

Posted by Marcus007 on Mar-19-2012 19:04:

exactly, im sure hell fit in great at a club

Posted by corjay9 on Mar-19-2012 19:42:

I went to see him last time he was booked, and he played some great stuff.. big room techno with jazzy brass sounds layered on top.. very good night of music. He's more of a saturday booking IMO, I don't see why the saturday crowd wouldn't fill it up for Farina.

Posted by billyboy on Mar-19-2012 20:22:

Agree with that. Book Farina on a Jazz fest saturday and repeat it every year with a dj that's in to doing a different set once a year, deep/jazz? with tourist in Mtl you should be able to attract a fair crowd till at least 06h00am ? or do a 4th of july special party ?

Posted by Marcus007 on Mar-19-2012 21:20:

pretty good idea man, better than misstress singing (i kid, i kid shes not bad at all)

Posted by John_H2O on Mar-20-2012 05:26:

quote:
Originally posted by corjay9
I went to see him last time he was booked, and he played some great stuff.. big room techno with jazzy brass sounds layered on top.. very good night of music. He's more of a saturday booking IMO, I don't see why the saturday crowd wouldn't fill it up for Farina.

He used to play the saturday night few years ago when Mx Hebert was producing the night MOVE. It was always full for farina. But last time I saw him was in 2010, the sunday of BnB , was really nice as well, always loved his unique style of blended jazz and really funk/soul/ jackin' influence.

Posted by WittyHandle on Mar-20-2012 05:44:

A long way back Stereo used to only book him on Sunday nights of three day weekends because they couldn't afford him on prime nights.

Personally, I always enjoyed his sound in traditional club hours or daytime, and not a big room.

Posted by Casa on Mar-20-2012 06:38:

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle

Personally, I always enjoyed his sound in traditional club hours or daytime, and not a big room.

totally agree, im a fan of his djing but id never see him at an afterhours.

Posted by otown Matt on Mar-20-2012 11:32:

i've seen him during club-hours countless times in Ottawa, and yes Farina + alcohol is always a great time (with a few j's thrown in there for good measure), but getting to see him at Stereo is special cuz you get him for 5 or 6 hours instead of only 2 or 3 ... with the added time, you get to hear all facets of his sound from soulful to jackin to banging, all with that signature Farina sound layered on top (weird and wacky samples, hip hop influences, etc), and usually a lil mushroom jazz there at the end ...

plus, stereo's soundsystem just makes everything better!!!!

i love that idea of booking him during jazz fest!

Posted by The Highroller on Mar-20-2012 20:30:

quote:
Originally posted by otown Matt
i've seen him during club-hours countless times in Ottawa, and yes Farina + alcohol is always a great time (with a few j's thrown in there for good measure), but getting to see him at Stereo is special cuz you get him for 5 or 6 hours instead of only 2 or 3 ... with the added time, you get to hear all facets of his sound from soulful to jackin to banging, all with that signature Farina sound layered on top (weird and wacky samples, hip hop influences, etc), and usually a lil mushroom jazz there at the end ...

plus, stereo's soundsystem just makes everything better!!!!

i love that idea of booking him during jazz fest!

Farina in afterhours is way better than regular hours. I love the jazzy and soulful stuff he plays, but some of his more mind-bending sounds that come out in the early morning are unparalleled and sound like nothing else on offer.

I disagree that he wouldn't bring a crowd in at Stereo. He has a MASSIVE following in Toronto. He always packs the place, seemingly no matter how big. I'm sure he has fans in Montreal, and that many of his fans in Toronto would make the trek to Stereo to see him (I can count a crew of at least 10 people that would come with me personally).

Posted by DJ Eterno on Mar-21-2012 04:30:

+1

more of this style is needed. we're drowned out by boring genres. RIP to stereo's Move nights. saw honey dijon there one time. #epic

Posted by otown Matt on Mar-21-2012 11:31:

+ 1 million

Those Move nights back in the day were always so fukin good ... whether it was Mark, or Heather, or Honey ... with locals Max Hebert and I think Rob Brown sometimes

re: him bringing a crowd in Mtl

He definitely used to, but the last two times have not been packed ... April 2011 was maybe 400-500 people ... and when they booked him Oct 2010 (the same night as BnB), it wasn't very busy either ... i wish this wasn't the case, but alas, that was the reality of the past two bookings.

There's even a video on youtube of him being interviewed at Stereo and he talks about his love of the Mtl scene, how late Mtl goes, and the musical knowledge of the city, and his appreciation for the Stereo soundsystem.
If I knew how to properly embed videos, I would post it! lol

Posted by djlemeir on Mar-22-2012 06:57:

this whole jackin/chicago/sanfran/wtvr genre was so popular 6-7 years ago... jf would book farina and derrick carter on the regular @ aria, heather came pretty often, rob brown held it down,

what happened to this town? i would kill for farina @ piknik...

Posted by WittyHandle on Mar-22-2012 16:17:

Farina at Piknik would be outta this world.

Posted by otown Matt on Mar-22-2012 18:29:

awwwwhhhh, @ piknik would be pretty sweet too! ... i'd take that instead of stereo, if i have to! lol ... hell, at this point, I'd go see him at Red-Lite or 1234 if that's what it takes! ...not that that would ever happen

sigh, it's been too long!

Posted by djlemeir on Mar-22-2012 20:30:

farina at 1234 was so dope!!!!

Posted by The Highroller on Mar-22-2012 20:51:

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle
Farina at Piknik

This.