TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- The movie recommendations thread, son
Pages (127): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 »

Posted by Omega_Blue on Sep-13-2010 09:16:

quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
i dunno, wiki maybe. it was pretty straight-forward, if like me, you rewound dialogue you didn't get the first time. but i like films like that

im no movie critic but i thought the parody bits (the high school archetypes in detective story) were part of the movie's charm. ie i thought the scene with the mum was great

wiki has a basic summary but no in-depth analysis. i didn't bother rewinding the dialogue i missed because at the time i was watching it while trying to go to bed- the plot hooked me though and i ended up staying up and watching it all the way through i'm probably gonna have to watch it again.

and yeah, the first scenes that came to mind, parody-wise, was the scenes with the pin's mom hookin' it up with the apple juice, lol. i didn't like the idea that the guy was supposedly 26 years old, picking up 10 keys of raw at a time, but still livin with his mom. i understand why the director chose to do that, but it felt a bit off.

Posted by Silky Johnson on Sep-13-2010 20:25:

The best thing RFD had going for it was Ellen Burstyn's character. I really felt so fucking sad for her...she was so pathetic in a Willy Loman kinda way.

Posted by gmilf on Sep-15-2010 00:49:

Picked up 60 years of cannes box set while in Asia. RFD is in there somewhere but I keep re-watching pulpfiction. I'll post quick approvals or rejections as I work my way through this. Wind that shakes barely is good, but watch Breakfast on Pluto instead. The Pianist...meh, if you've seen one WWII flick you've seen this, if you haven't watch "come and see" instead. L'ENFANT is worth a view but Elephant is really not.

Posted by eternalmay on Sep-15-2010 03:49:

Inception, of course

Posted by LAdazeNYnights on Sep-15-2010 09:04:

quote:
Originally posted by gmilf
Picked up 60 years of cannes box set while in Asia. RFD is in there somewhere but I keep re-watching pulpfiction. I'll post quick approvals or rejections as I work my way through this. Wind that shakes barely is good, but watch Breakfast on Pluto instead. The Pianist...meh, if you've seen one WWII flick you've seen this, if you haven't watch "come and see" instead. L'ENFANT is worth a view but Elephant is really not.

l'enfant was really good, i thought. so charming.

Posted by Renzo on Sep-18-2010 16:55:

quote:
Originally posted by The17sss
Comes out next week. Can't wait to see this. If I'm not mistaken, Stanley Kubrick worked with the author of the book that this movie is based on, in 1950. Is it me, or is Casey Affleck turning into a damn good actor?

Saw this last night. As others have noted, I thought it was a TERRIFIC, first-person account of a sociopath. One scene in particular is BRUTALLY violent and enraging, and that scene seemed to have turned off lots of critics. But hey, the film is based on a novel. It is what it is.

Casey Affleck and Elias Koteas were top-notch. That being said, I would have cast two actresses other than Jessica Alba [she is hot, though] and Kate Hudson. Save for Hudson in Almost Famous, they are just not very good actresses.

Posted by yukii on Sep-18-2010 17:56:

quote:
i dunno, wiki maybe. it was pretty straight-forward, if like me, you rewound dialogue you didn't get the first time. but i like films like that

im no movie critic but i thought the parody bits (the high school archetypes in detective story) were part of the movie's charm. ie i thought the scene with the mum was great

Ok PKC, I watched the film last night and I think I genuinely liked it, the plot was good but high school? SERIOUSLY? I guess I'm a person who over analyzes it, but Nathan and I were having a hard time taking the movie seriously when the whole damn thing was considerably unrealistic.. The school was so fuckin' savvy and he had his little agreement with the VP and and this secret Halloween party, when have you been to a high school party like that with piano playing? Idk, I think I would have been a bit more into it if I wasn't all the time, maybe a College setting would've helped but over all, the whole reason behind why Emily died was good.

Posted by Omega_Blue on Sep-18-2010 18:34:

quote:
Originally posted by yukii
Ok PKC, I watched the film last night and I think I genuinely liked it, the plot was good but high school? SERIOUSLY? I guess I'm a person who over analyzes it, but Nathan and I were having a hard time taking the movie seriously when the whole damn thing was considerably unrealistic.. The school was so fuckin' savvy and he had his little agreement with the VP and and this secret Halloween party, when have you been to a high school party like that with piano playing? Idk, I think I would have been a bit more into it if I wasn't all the time, maybe a College setting would've helped but over all, the whole reason behind why Emily died was good.

that's what i said!

Posted by pkcRAISTLIN on Sep-19-2010 01:56:

quote:

jeez, that's what made the film so clever. it dropped typical noir archetypes and story telling on top of high school archetypes and ran with it. criticising it for lack of realism is absurd. you didn't get it.

Posted by LeopoldStotch on Sep-19-2010 03:00:

finally got around to seeing it. it's been on the backburner for ages, because i've been meaning to watch past JGL movies (yes i enjoyed the movie 500 days of summer. you can flame me for that)

after watching brick, i am really digging the whole neo noir effect on the typical high school structure.

i think people who watch this movie may have been blinded by the fact feeling it is supposed to be a staple high school movie with kids laughing, playing, and going to class, which is not true. imo, this movie is a witty theatrical transition taking a 50's gangster theme, and placing it in the modern day high school era. i see the writer's motivation is questioning what would high school look like with a suspenseful mystery gangster feel to it? we aren't supposed to relate our high school days to this movie.

some points i do like about the movie are the dialogues between brendan and the different "factions", like the "mob", the wannabe drama queen, the private eye detective(the brain), and the suspicious ho. i felt brendan's building psychological breakdown throughout the movie was very well written and acted. good symbolism of his desire to find the killer no matter what odds, like gettins his ass kicked by tugger to get to the pin.

Posted by Couch Nugget on Sep-23-2010 22:24:

lol wut

Posted by LeopoldStotch on Sep-26-2010 16:19:

got a chance to watch 'Seven Pounds':

a lot better movie than i expected. I had low expectations due to me not liking 'pursuit of happyness'. if you're in the mood for something melodramatic new age shakespearean tragedy drama, this is your movie.

also watched 'Buried' a couple of nights ago:

an ok movie. it's very engaging and dramatic. not the best of movies, but not the worst. it could not be some people's cup of tea. at the end, it really makes you want to shout out 'fuck you'. this movie could be this year's 'the hurt locker'.

Posted by infiniteJEST on Sep-26-2010 18:12:

quote:
criticising it for lack of realism is absurd. you didn't get it.

lol2deep4u

Posted by yukii on Sep-26-2010 18:19:

quote:
jeez, that's what made the film so clever. it dropped typical noir archetypes and story telling on top of high school archetypes and ran with it. criticising it for lack of realism is absurd. you didn't get it.

I guess I'm just not into the whole 'neo noir blah blah' stuff Wasn't my thing.

I did watch Wallstreet 2 this weekend with Nathan. I really liked it, I thought there would be more of actual WALLSTREET in it.. nevertheless, the plot was good.. I do think Carey Mulligan could have shined better, the only thing she seemed to do was mope around and be upset (she had a reason, but still). I just think she could have presented more, I really loved her role in An Education.

Posted by chimera66 on Sep-27-2010 02:06:

quote:
Originally posted by LeopoldStotch
also watched 'Buried' a couple of nights ago:

an ok movie. it's very engaging and dramatic. not the best of movies, but not the worst. it could not be some people's cup of tea. at the end, it really makes you want to shout out 'fuck you'. this movie could be this year's 'the hurt locker'.

so buried was good? i have no desire to actually watch the film i just want to know what happens. i can't get over that he has 90min of oxygen yet he chooses to waste some of it by using that damn lighter.

Posted by LeopoldStotch on Sep-27-2010 02:55:

quote:
Originally posted by chimera66
so buried was good? i have no desire to actually watch the film i just want to know what happens. i can't get over that he has 90min of oxygen yet he chooses to waste some of it by using that damn lighter.

if you want to read a spoiler of what happened, read here .....
(hilight area for spoilers)
[SPOILER]

Paul Conroy(Ryan Reynolds) plays a U.S. contract worker who's duty is around the Iraq/Jordan border. One day, his group is ambushed by a group of local gunmen. they shoot everyone, but Paul, because he got knocked out during the ambush. The attackers figure to place him in a 10' X 5' coffin and bury him under 3 feet of sand.

Paul awakens to find himself in the dark. He finds his lighter and pen in the dark, and finds out he's buried in a wooden box underground. We(the audience) start to gain knowledge of who Paul is, his personal problems, who he works for, and the problems he has to go through while in the coffin. throughout the movie, Paul finds the attackers have left him a smartphone, pocket knife, a semi-working flashlight, and a couple of glowsticks. the attackers' intention is to have him make a video in the coffin telling the US government to send the attackers a couple of million dollars, or they will kill Paul.

As the movie continues, Paul has to conserve his phone battery(when the movie starts, the phone has about 55% battery life), fight against a snake who snuck inside the coffin from a small crack in the coffin, and an air ambush causing more sand to push against the coffin. Meanwhile, Paul is trying to contact a British military contact named Dan Brenner in Iraq on how to track Paul underground. Dan is trying to motivate Paul, and give him hope he's going to be found.

the movie heads into a tragic peak point when Alan Davenport, the CEO of the company Paul works for, gives Paul a phone call, and tells Paul since Paul had infatuated with a female employee a couple of weeks back, his actions breached an employee contract he signed. Due to the breach, Alan tells Paul his employment with the company has been terminated as of that day, and Alan cannot help Paul any further in assisting in searching for Paul in Iraq.

[/SPOILER]

.... and if you want to hear the ending ....
(hilight area for spoilers)
[SPOILER]

at the end, Dan is able to contact Paul while Paul is trying to keep calm from the excess sand leaking from the top of the coffin. Dan tells Paul he is able to catch one of the attackers, and have him locate where he buried the captives. they are at a location, and we (the audience) find out the attacker leads Dan to a different location where they buried a previous captive from a past ambush. Paul faces the fact he's going to die in the coffin in the next 15 seconds, because the sand is chin deep.

[/SPOILER]

yes the movie is just Ryan Reynolds ... and no ladies. ryan reynolds does not go shirtless in the coffin.

love it. hate it. due to it's rating, my feeling is it's overrated.

Posted by chimera66 on Sep-27-2010 03:24:

thanks! i'll wait to see him in the green latern.

Posted by FuzzQi on Sep-27-2010 07:05:

Watch "Hard Candy"

Very well put together, slightly disturbing. The actors look like Justin Bieber and Ewan McGregor.

Posted by EgosXII on Sep-27-2010 09:22:

quote:
he had a reason, but still). I just think she could have presented more, I really loved her role in An Education.

an education was fucking crap. Trying to be an arthouse film without any kind of interesting story at all, and no 'real' twists or turns.

super lame. the morale of the story was: Do whatever you want, and you'll be completely fine and everyone will stand up for you and be awesome... fuckin stupid imo

Posted by FuzzQi on Sep-27-2010 09:32:

quote:
Originally posted by EgosXII
an education was fucking crap. Trying to be an arthouse film without any kind of interesting story at all, and no 'real' twists or turns.

super lame. the morale of the story was: Do whatever you want, and you'll be completely fine and everyone will stand up for you and be awesome... fuckin stupid imo

Beautiful camera work in my opinion though

Posted by yukii on Sep-27-2010 15:17:

quote:
the morale of the story was: Do whatever you want, and you'll be completely fine and everyone will stand up for you and be awesome... fuckin stupid imo

Not really.. If she did whatever she wanted, it would have turned out to have been a tragic future for her and no one would have supported her leaving her schooling to be with a middle-aged man. It's not until she realizes how valuable an education can really be, that she understands what's best for her, even if at first glance that wasn't exactly appealing to her.

You may think it's "fuckin' stupid" but I think it was a great 'coming of age' story during the 60's, you are entitled to your own opinion.

Posted by Jarvmeister on Sep-27-2010 17:25:

quote:
the morale of the story

Looks like you could do with 'An Education'. Here, let me assist: http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000243.htm

Sorry, wouldn't normally pick someone up on their spelling, but in this thread, about this topic I couldn't resist.......

Posted by EgosXII on Sep-28-2010 04:51:

quote:
Not really.. If she did whatever she wanted, it would have turned out to have been a tragic future for her and no one would have supported her leaving her schooling to be with a middle-aged man. It's not until she realizes how valuable an education can really be, that she understands what's best for her, even if at first glance that wasn't exactly appealing to her.

You may think it's "fuckin' stupid" but I think it was a great 'coming of age' story during the 60's, you are entitled to your own opinion.

It wasn't at all realistic though... she quit school, ignored her family, acted like an entitled bitch, and NOTHING happened to her. She didn't realise an education was important, she got sooky cause she found out her man was married, THEN realised the error of her ways (when she failed to do what she wanted), and then everything went back to normal, no worries...

once she realised she was a retard there were no ramifications for her retardedness, she was praised by her family, let back into school, and passed with flying colours... seemed like a completely silly representation of the (in any other 60's-based film) fairly repressive family structure at the time.

quote:
Originally posted by FuzzQi
Beautiful camera work in my opinion though

true, was a nice 'period' piece in that way, cars and houses were sweet etc

Posted by LAdazeNYnights on Sep-29-2010 02:05:

just watched Encounters at the End of the World.
overall, I really enjoyed the documentary. I think herzog is a great narrator and poses (mostly) very interesting questions and makes fascinating observations. many of the sequences played like dreams and in that the movie was so beautiful.
a few points were disappointing, though--occasionally i couldn't help but feel that herzogs grandiose view of himself as purveyor or medium of brilliance totally backfired. for instance, at the start of the film he makes note that it wouldn't be "another penguin movie" and then he brings up penguins a bit later, saying "since nobody was able to answer the questions i had about penguins they forwarded me to the worlds foremost penguin scientist, a very pensive and reserved man who no longer communicates much with the world". something along those lines... anyway, you're anticipating some sort of great insight into penguins from the dialogue to come. instead, herzog asks two questions:
1) are there gay penguins and
2) do penguins ever go crazy
stupid.
otherwise, very impressive.

Posted by The17sss on Sep-29-2010 02:14:

Has anyone seen The Town yet? Being a Boston guy at my roots, I thoroughly enjoyed the attention to detail on the gritty criminal subculture and associated accent/slang. It was very accurate, the same way it was portrayed in Gone Baby Gone. Plus the movie itself was well done I thought. I can't get enough of Jeremy Renner... that dude is firing on all cylinders these days.

Pages (127): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 »