TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- Random, non-adhesive, won't stick damn it, thread of randomness
Pages (396): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 »


Posted by Moongoose on Aug-17-2012 22:26:

Why dont you (or the school) simply drop them a nice email asking how/in which format would they like the material delivered, that you appreciate their offer but that you prefer to do these things in house. Then if they dont ignore the email, just email the appropriate stuff back yourself, or since meriter volunteered, ask him to give it a go if theres not too much stuff to adjust (probably wont be since, as you said, they are probably fucking with you).





Also, it seems you have been busy this week but im going to ask anyway, any timeline on when we can expect your idiot proof explanation of hangul that you mentioned in the olympics thread that you would put together for those interested?


Posted by Lira on Aug-18-2012 02:11:

quote:
Originally posted by Moongoose
Why dont you (or the school) simply drop them a nice email asking how/in which format would they like the material delivered, that you appreciate their offer but that you prefer to do these things in house. Then if they dont ignore the email, just email the appropriate stuff back yourself, or since meriter volunteered, ask him to give it a go if theres not too much stuff to adjust (probably wont be since, as you said, they are probably fucking with you).

The principal is in charge of all this and, like I said, there's the hierarchy problem. Since she chose this printing house herself, recommended by the governmental agency, there isn't much I can do other than warn her.

And warn her I did
quote:
Originally posted by Moongoose
Also, it seems you have been busy this week but im going to ask anyway, any timeline on when we can expect your idiot proof explanation of hangul that you mentioned in the olympics thread that you would put together for those interested?

I hope it'll be ready by the end of next week. There's a potential job at university, and I want to be ready in case it's suited for my field


Posted by Halcyon+On+On on Aug-18-2012 02:51:

Am I wrong to suggest that you take the file, save it as a .doc (or whatever), open it in Word, edit as you see fit, print, then re-save as .pdf?


Posted by meriter on Aug-18-2012 02:53:

take a screencap with your phone, email it to yourself, print it out, then scan the printout and fax it to them


Posted by Joss Weatherby on Aug-18-2012 03:21:

Nothing feels like a vicegrip on your nuts like after a cold swim.


Posted by Halcyon+On+On on Aug-18-2012 03:24:

quote:
Originally posted by meriter
take a screencap with your phone, email it to yourself, print it out, then scan the printout and fax it to them


Does that really degrade the quality that bad? I only know .pdfs from forms, and circumventing paying Adobe's ridiculous prices typically just entail converting it to a different format. It compresses the file, but it is unacceptable? It might be for mass printing purposes. This is why I'm not in graphic design.


Posted by meriter on Aug-18-2012 03:29:

I thought you were making a joke.. no you can't do shit with a pdf in word


Posted by Joss Weatherby on Aug-18-2012 03:36:

When I did web work I had a client who would fucking take a screen shot of their website, print it out, handwrite notes on it, scan it in black and white, and then depending on who it was or maybe if they had huffed enough paint that day they would either email it to me (in a variety of formats, PDF, word file, a couple of times in a excel file with multiple pages) or they would fax it to me.


God damn.


Posted by Lira on Aug-18-2012 03:37:

Great ideas

Also, I've just seen an interview with an old native Brazilian called "Megatron". He's got to be epic awesomeness incarnate.


Posted by Halcyon+On+On on Aug-18-2012 03:43:

quote:
Originally posted by meriter
I thought you were making a joke.. no you can't do shit with a pdf in word


It's no joke, surely you can re-save a .pdf as a Word file, edit it, then re-re-save as a .pdf. It works for mere documents, but if you require graphics or a certain dpi of text, it's rather ill-advised.


Posted by Moongoose on Aug-18-2012 08:35:

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
The principal is in charge of all this and, like I said, there's the hierarchy problem. Since she chose this printing house herself, recommended by the governmental agency, there isn't much I can do other than warn her.

And warn her I did



Must be a culture difference then, over here if anyone even suspected that you were trying to scam them a war of epic proportions would break out...we are in the balkans after all


quote:
Originally posted by Lira
I hope it'll be ready by the end of next week. There's a potential job at university, and I want to be ready in case it's suited for my field


Ah sweet, on both counts


Posted by Lira on Aug-18-2012 08:43:

quote:
Originally posted by Moongoose
Must be a culture difference then, over here if anyone even suspected that you were trying to scam them a war of epic proportions would break out...we are in the balkans after all

There's also the fact that being too direct in Japanese is extremely rare, specially when you don't have direct evidence. The best I could say was "You know the guys from the printing house? The things they said don't really add up" or something like that. I'd have to be absolutely certain of what they're up to before I could say something like "KILL ALL INFIDELS!!!" or something with as much impact
quote:
Originally posted by Moongoose
Ah sweet, on both counts

I'm not exactly optimistic this time around, because I'm not sure they really want someone versed on Japanese linguistics... but, let's see. I got a similar job 4 years ago, so there's little reason to believe I won't get it this time


Posted by Moongoose on Aug-18-2012 10:16:

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
There's also the fact that being too direct in Japanese is extremely rare, specially when you don't have direct evidence. The best I could say was "You know the guys from the printing house? The things they said don't really add up" or something like that. I'd have to be absolutely certain of what they're up to before I could say something like "KILL ALL INFIDELS!!!" or something with as much impact



Its amazing they get anything done really if one cant call out an obvious fraud because you cant bee too direct.


quote:
Originally posted by Lira
I'm not exactly optimistic this time around, because I'm not sure they really want someone versed on Japanese linguistics... but, let's see. I got a similar job 4 years ago, so there's little reason to believe I won't get it this time



Well i hope you get it then Jobs where being versed in japanese linguistics is a requirement or helpfull do not seem all that common to me so good luck


Posted by OrangestO on Aug-18-2012 17:51:

Prison Break is so fucking stupid sometimes, but I can't help but want to finish it

How many twists and unrealistic situations do you need to make your plot piece together.

Dumb fucking writers.

/rant


Posted by Moongoose on Aug-18-2012 18:32:

What they did with prison break is, they had an awesome 12 episode mini series, and when they saw the ratings they though to themselves "Hey this is actually awesome, we should stretch this out" and thats when things went to shit quickly.


Posted by meriter on Aug-19-2012 22:21:


Posted by Intellekshual on Aug-19-2012 22:34:

quote:
Originally posted by meriter



Is that your kitty?


Posted by Big Worm on Aug-19-2012 23:16:

quote:
Originally posted by meriter


ugly little cuss....

lol..j/k... that bottom pic is funny.


Posted by Lira on Aug-20-2012 02:05:

quote:
Originally posted by Moongoose
Its amazing they get anything done really if one cant call out an obvious fraud because you cant bee too direct.

It is
quote:
Originally posted by Moongoose
Well i hope you get it then Jobs where being versed in japanese linguistics is a requirement or helpfull do not seem all that common to me so good luck

Precisely, that's why I'd be confident about the job if I knew that's what they want. Because if they don't, then I'm screwed

And cheers, I'll let you know how it goes


Posted by meriter on Aug-21-2012 06:28:



god i would completely smash that


Posted by Halcyon+On+On on Aug-21-2012 18:20:

I found this to be a really good read:

http://gawker.com/5936554/the-other...er?popular=true


Posted by OrangestO on Aug-21-2012 18:40:

quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On
I found this to be a really good read:

http://gawker.com/5936554/the-other...er?popular=true




I'm so glad I got kicked out while the rest of my unit was sent to Iraq. In hindsight, it's the best thing that could have ever happened to me.

Truly sad what a lot of war veterans are going through and will continue to go through.

"Just another number."


Posted by Zharen on Aug-21-2012 20:57:

quote:
Originally posted by meriter


Brilliant.


Posted by netroM on Aug-21-2012 21:21:

Agreed. The three Henri vids are quite captivating


Posted by Joss Weatherby on Aug-21-2012 21:25:

quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On
I found this to be a really good read:

http://gawker.com/5936554/the-other...er?popular=true


I really suggest reading On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, US Army (Ret.).

Humans do not want to kill each other and doing so fucks them up more than anything you can imagine. Its not the fear of death, or the fear of injury that scars people in war. Its the fear that they have done something wrong, or will have to do something innately wrong, or that they will have let someone else down because they can't do what they feel is wrong (survivors guilt, etc).

It is even worse today because they are so conditioned to kill that it becomes a mechanical process, the scaring effects of battle not appearing till later in a way that makes them second guess themselves.

Also, especially in Vietnam, we do not take the proper measures to "deprogram" and re-assimilate and provide care for their mental wounds when they come back, we being not only the military but our society. It has gotten quite a lot better, but its still a very hard thing for these men and women to come back and not feel like they are out of place somehow, or guilty.


Pages (396): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 »

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.