TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- Saturday Night Live

Posted by Dave Piazza on Oct-08-2004 11:29:

Thumbs down Saturday Night Live

Im not sure if you non-american tv viewers are fimilar with this show but I was wondering what are your thoughts on its current content?

I really think that the mid 90's and 80' shows were super funny. Like when they had Chris Farley, eddie murphy, etc

The comedy just isnt the same anymore.

Your thoughts?

Posted by SportTrance on Oct-08-2004 13:56:

your opinion is common, and the same as mine.

Its kind of publicly known and accepted that SNL isnt what it used to be, and every cast member knows it.

Posted by fitom tiel on Oct-08-2004 14:07:

i don't even watch it anymore

instead, once in a while, i'll tune in at 1am for classic re-runs

Posted by stren on Oct-08-2004 14:08:

Unhappy

Never seen the whole show only skits. I bet it was funnier when Conan was on the cast
ps. Last skit I saw was on the presidential debate, it was hilarious as fuk:
- when you say "crush the terrorists", how exacly you plan to do that?
Bush: - ...by working hard...workin saturdays?
-So your plan is to crush the terrorists by coming in on saturdays?
Bush: - If that's what it takes!

Posted by born2trance on Oct-08-2004 14:43:

i LOVE SNL!!!! yeah the mid 90's actors wer better than todays, but it still makes me laff. im still pissed tho that comedy central ridded it for mad tv, mad tv sux ass!!! its so lame and not funny @ all. i might just get the snl dvd's

Posted by SportTrance on Oct-08-2004 14:47:

as long as SNL is making some people laugh, we're stuck with it

Posted by {b.s.e.} on Oct-08-2004 14:51:

i can't remember the last time i was home on a saturday @ 1am to actually see it..

Posted by idoru on Oct-08-2004 15:06:

I hate it. Like Dave said, it was funnier in the early to mid 90's.

That, and Jimmy Fallon, Chris Kattan, Will Ferrell, and a couple of other people all really annoy me.

Posted by jonze on Oct-08-2004 15:10:

phil hartman and chris farley > all other cast members

Posted by SportTrance on Oct-08-2004 15:14:

quote:
Originally posted by idoru
I hate it. Like Dave said, it was funnier in the early to mid 90's.

That, and Jimmy Fallon, Chris Kattan, Will Ferrell, and a couple of other people all really annoy me.

I fuckin hate jimmy fallon, the guy is just not fuckin funny.

Posted by fitom tiel on Oct-08-2004 15:30:

quote:
Originally posted by jonze234
phil hartman

best cast member ever

Posted by M1cro5lave on Oct-08-2004 15:43:

quote:
Originally posted by jonze234
phil hartman and chris farley > all other cast members

*thumbs up*

It used to be better, but I still watch it at times.

Posted by Boomer187 on Oct-08-2004 15:49:

its been like this since the show started, the cast evolves and there are periods where people just call it saturday night dead, and as usual it always picks up and sometime later they say its awesome again.

good show.

Posted by Radagast on Oct-08-2004 17:44:

quote:
Originally posted by Boomer187
its been like this since the show started, the cast evolves and there are periods where people just call it saturday night dead, and as usual it always picks up and sometime later they say its awesome again.

good show.

That's funny, because I thought every "period" before this had many good points. Seems to me the only funny part of the new SNL cast is Horatio Sanz. Not because he's funny, but because he breaks character so often. And Darrell Hammond's impressions are unfunny and inaccurate. Tina Fey is head writer and it shows. She isn't funny. Robert Smigel alone isn't enough to save this show, and he's been writing for SNL since 1985.

And Conan wasn't a cast member he was a writer.

SNL, Simpsons, and MADtv are no longer funny. They're beating a dead horse. They should have taken a cue from In Living Color and quit while they were ahead.

EDIT: Actually I like some of Hammonds impressions, such as Al Gore, Bill Clinton, Ted Koppel, and Cris Matthews. But more recent ones like Schwarzenegger, Trump, and Cheney aren't as funny to me.

Posted by CONNERMAN2000 on Oct-08-2004 22:14:

Used to be great...but not anymore.

Posted by Gunyouken on Oct-08-2004 22:53:

THe other day I saw it was on one of the channels and I thought OH Sweet Sat night live. I'm always hearing how funny it is from movies and shit... That show totally sucks balls. They had that guy from dude wheres my car on.. and he wasn't one bit funny(In movies he usually is funny) then they had this thing that was like a news cast, it was the absolute most least funny thing I ever saw.

Posted by biznology on Oct-08-2004 23:26:

this is a recurring idea, much like people saying that the simpsons needs more morals and plot.

its different to everyone, but everyone that says it was the best in the 90s is just nostalgic. ever see the first season? considering the time period that shit was crazy...or when harry shearer and martin short and the other dudes from Best in Show/whatnot did the synchronized swimming bit plus farley, ferrel and whatnot? There have always been hilarious shits there!

But like bse i gotta say im rarely with TV or TV on Sat night. Thats boozing time|

Posted by TigerClaw on Oct-09-2004 10:17:

I used to like when Mike Myers was on the show, With skits like Wayne's World or Sproket.

Posted by getfoul on Oct-09-2004 19:20:

coneheads or the landshark. Some of the funniest stuff was in the late 70's early 80's with dan ackroyd and company.

Posted by SportTrance on Oct-09-2004 19:33:

imo i dont know what the fuck all the rave is about family guy.......

Posted by D-res on Oct-09-2004 19:36:

ive never really been an SNL fan. its had its moments that have made me laugh, but like MAD TV, i never really get a whole lot of comic pleasure out of it. i prefer stand-up all the way...

Posted by idoru on Oct-09-2004 19:40:

quote:
Originally posted by josh4
rumor is Fox is going to finally axe the simpsons. they're brining back family guy (official not rumor) next year simpsons will get one more season then family guy and a new show american dad take over

Hmm, I remember like, three years ago FOX announced that The Simpsons were getting another seven (I think) seasons. I give The Simpsons two or three more years.