TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- Russian

Posted by Sunsnail on Feb-17-2005 03:04:

Russian

Hello, my good TA members! Recently, I have been trying to learn Russian, but I have run into some questions that I cant seem to find the answers to.

1)How do you form a question?

This may seem stupid but I haven't found anywhere that says how you ask a question. Im assuming its either something like: Я вижу? or Вижу я?

2)ш и щ

I really cant tell the difference between ш and щ. If someone could provide a recording of the two, it would be most appreciated (и means and right?)

3)х и р

These too sound similar, a recording would be helpful

4)ИЙ И ЫЙ

I've seen both of these endings for masculine adjectives. I'm guessing sometimes I use one instead of the other, and it simply has to be memorized...

5)ЫЙ

Back to this sound... How is it pronounced? How is Й pronounced? Again, recording would be most helpful

Thats all I can really think of at the moment, I'll have some more questions soon...

(Most constructive and longest post by me ever! )

Posted by Jocker on Feb-17-2005 03:23:

1)Я вижу? is correct. you don't have to change the word order, it's all about intonation.

2) ш is closer to how sh sounds in "dash", while щ - like sh sounds in "shit"

3) х and р by no means sound similar... х is equivalent to english sound "h" (like "help"), while р - is equivalent to "r".

4) you are right... ий is mostly used after к, (like "советский"), while ый is used for the rest of them. and while after ш and ж by grammar rules has to follow ий, you pronounce it like ый (you just have to remember that). like the words рыжый and старший are actually pronounced as if they were written рыжый and старшый. it is a fundamental rule, "жи" and "ши" are always written with и even though they sound like there's an ы there.

Posted by eulerfx on Feb-17-2005 03:24:

Re: Russian

quote:
Originally posted by Sunsnail

1)How do you form a question?

1. You can do it both ways if you put in a 'lee' in between the two words in the second form you posted. Then the second form is more common and less anglic I guess.

Will do recs when get home...

Posted by Jocker on Feb-17-2005 03:29:

as for the fifth question, go here.

it has the pronunciation of the russian alphabet letters (how the letters are called, not how they actually sound). click on the "Ъъ" sign (for the ъ letter). the letter is called "твёрдый знак", and you can hear how the "ый" thing is pronounced. you can also compare it to how "ий" sounds in the pronunciation of letter "ь" (which is called "мягкий знак")..

удачи. good luck, i mean

Posted by Sunsnail on Feb-17-2005 03:36:

quote:
Originally posted by Jocker
as for the fifth question, go here.

it has the pronunciation of the russian alphabet letters (how the letters are called, not how they actually sound). click on the "Ъъ" sign (for the ъ letter). the letter is called "твёрдый знак", and you can hear how the "ый" thing is pronounced. you can also compare it to how "ий" sounds in the pronunciation of letter "ь" (which is called "мягкий знак")..

удачи. good luck, i mean

Thanks for all the help

хорошо would be pronounced how...

Posted by Subey on Feb-17-2005 03:44:

quote:
Thanks for all the help

хорошо would be pronounced how...

xopowo = HO RO SHO
but remember to say "O CHEEN HO RO SHO" cause I suspect your doing really well

Posted by Lira on Feb-17-2005 15:17:

Talking Horosho = Horror Show

Well, since Russian is not my first language, I guess I can give you the insight of another foreigner

Sounds in Russian have always tricked me when I heard them on the internet, often because of the poor quality. Jocker has already given you an excellent answer, but maybe my experience could be useful to you somehow:

2) There's a trick that works to me. For ш use the proper sh sound, whereas for щ say "ish-chi"... now try to merge the sounds.

3) Is English your mother tongue? If you speak Spanish, pretend X is the j "like in "jefe" and P is the r as in "rato". The American "r" would sound awkward, I reckon. If you speak Portuguese, your confusion is quite natural, as we merge these sounds

4) Go here for the best Russian grammar ever

5) Й is, roughly speaking, the Russian "y". I would give you a technical long explanation, but I'm in a hurry. Besides, Jocker's explanation is very good

I'm going to look for the audio exercises I've got somewhere in my room for these sounds. They helped me a lot and hopefully they would help you as well. They're not long, and the mp3 would be less then 2mb, probably.

Posted by Sunsnail on Feb-17-2005 18:52:

Thanks for the responses

When I see a past tense form, its presented as

он хотел
она etc.

I'm guessing that I would say Я хотел. да?

Posted by Lira on Feb-17-2005 20:01:

quote:
I'm guessing that I would say Я хотел. да?

If you're a d00d, yes, you actually should

Posted by Nabistai on Feb-17-2005 20:56:

I have a question for you Sunsnail How exactly are you studying Russian? Because apperantly not by school/teacher since you are asking for pronunciations? Just asking because I'm interested in foreign languages

Posted by Subey on Feb-17-2005 21:31:

The only russian you really need to know is...

WAX U MAT

Posted by beats and beeps on Feb-17-2005 21:39:

Well, nobody has been stupid enough to do it yet, so I might as well go ahead and do it.

In Sovet Russia, Russian learns you!

There we go.

Posted by Lira on Feb-17-2005 21:45:

quote:
Originally posted by Nabistai
I have a question for you Sunsnail How exactly are you studying Russian? Because apperantly not by school/teacher since you are asking for pronunciations? Just asking because I'm interested in foreign languages

quote:
Originally said by Anthony de Mello
"You are only a disciple because your eyes are closed. The day you open them you will see there is nothing you can learn from me or anyone."

"What then is a Master for?"

"To make you see the uselessness of having one."

Posted by Scanate on Feb-18-2005 20:39:

prijom kak slyshna?

Posted by Sunsnail on Feb-19-2005 02:47:

Re: Re: Russian

quote:
Originally posted by eulerfx

Will do recs when get home...

Im not sure how to pronounce vowels with Й after them

ОЙ
ИЙ
ЫЙ
ЕЙ

Posted by Sunsnail on Feb-19-2005 03:06:

I love writing notes in russian, in english, no one can understand except my friend

фок ю

Posted by Azz3D on Feb-19-2005 03:29:

quote:
I love writing notes in russian, in english, no one can understand except my friend

фок ю

hahah I know that

Posted by fastmp3 on Feb-19-2005 03:35:

scooter = ckytep

Posted by Lira on Feb-19-2005 03:46:

Re: Re: Re: Russian

quote:
Im not sure how to pronounce vowels with Й after them

ОЙ
ИЙ
ЫЙ
ЕЙ

Not being technical, they're the same as if they were alone, but with a very short "i" afterwards. Roughly speaking, like "oy", "eey", "ey" and "ay" in English (it's not really "ey", but a closer sound).

If you want the sound samples that much, google finds some interesting results, you know?

Posted by AlphaStarred on Feb-19-2005 03:51:

privet, nu shto, zakuryem?

Posted by Lira on Feb-19-2005 03:57:

http://learningrussian.com/grammar/phonetic1.htm
http://www.uebersetzung.at/twister/ru.htm
http://www.alphadictionary.com/rusgrammar/pronounc.html
http://www.funet.fi/pub/culture/rus...on1/rusalf.html
http://community.middlebury.edu/~be...dostnames.shtml
http://www.funet.fi/pub/culture/rus...on3/soglas.html
http://www.funet.fi/pub/culture/rus...son2/vocal.html
http://masterrussian.com/blalphabet.shtml

Posted by Sunsnail on Feb-19-2005 04:21:

Спасибо Think i should learn cursive?

Posted by Lira on Feb-19-2005 04:30:

quote:
Спасибо Think i should learn cursive?

If you're planning to send teh letter, konechno

Posted by Sunsnail on Feb-19-2005 19:43:

Say i've got this word adjective нового would this be pronounced novaga? novogo? navogo? I'm not sure how to pronounce the genitive endings. Does it just depend on where the accent is?