Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > FIFA World Cup - Russia 2018
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I'm going out on a limb here, but I don't think Hazard finding some magic in the middle of an England match will help us much, given he plays for Belgium.

Ugh lol, that'll learn me to post when half asleep. I meant Rashford. It seems like he peaking in his recent matches for United and there's been a few glimpses that he might turn in to forward player that England needs.

quote:
Psychological pressure. There's a huge amount of self-disgust in England about our football team. I know English/British people are seen as very arrogant by other nationalities, but we're really not a patriotic nation. The national psyche is that of a nation that used to be the greatest in the world, but has steadily slid into mediocrity since the Second World War. And we take a lot of those feelings out on our team, meaning there's always a poisonous atmosphere when they fail. Most of the players now are even younger than me. All they will have grown up with is years of national disappointments, and a great fear whenever they play a big match that they are going to disappoint the whole nation again.

That's all correct, and we've gradually expected less and less over the years, as if the loss is inevitable, but at some point it has to tip to the "maybe we can do this", not "we should do this but never will cause we're shit".

The ex pat thing is real though. Some of the cvnts I call my countrymen are the fucking worst once they live in another country. There's tons of Brits in LA and while I love some of them, there's a distinct and large number of them that act completely differently, and I daresay extremely arrogantly because of nothing more than their now sacred nationality. You also can't ingore how much patriotism suddenly kicks in once they're abroad. Everything in their house is a union fucking jack or or a keep clam reference, yet they'd never do that back home.

Old Post Dec-05-2017 00:36 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

quote:
Blame that on Welsh / Scottish parochial nationalism. They won't even enter a Team GB football team to the Olympics because they're scared it will mean the end of separate national teams.

Wait, THEY're the ones that want to go it alone!?

Have Stella McCartney design a really sick kit, with Union Jacks and everything, like she did in the last Olympics, and go with it. It's just a matter of time until they realise it looks better than the RGB combo they wear for whatever reason.
quote:
Originally posted by Trance-M
Although 97% of Turkey is in Asia, it's counted to Europe for football.

I read that, and I'm still mystified by it. Do they want to have a go at the Greeks that bad!?

Old Post Dec-05-2017 02:08  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

Whoa, Russia's been banned from next year's Winter Olympics! Maybe they'll seek ways to stick it to all the other nations through the World Cup after all.

(~)

Old Post Dec-05-2017 18:54  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

How awesome would it be if they sent their ice hockey team to the World Cup though?
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
You also can't ingore how much patriotism suddenly kicks in once they're abroad. Everything in their house is a union fucking jack or or a keep clam reference, yet they'd never do that back home.

Isn't it the same with everyone? I've seen vegetarians get into churrasco (Brazilian barbecue) once they moved abroad

Old Post Dec-05-2017 18:59  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

The Welsh in particularly are infuriatingly nationalist. They see themselves as a nation still colonised by the English, and fight tooth and nail to preserve their pitiful cultural lineage. For example, there are large parts of Wales where all the signage in any shop or public outlet has to be in English and Welsh, even though only around 20% of the Welsh can actually speak Welsh, and still less can speak it fluently.

Both the Welsh and the Scottish absolutely hate the English in sporting terms, and would be delirious if they ever managed to beat us. The Northern Irish aren't quite so bad, perhaps because they've got their own local hatreds taking up all their attention. From an English perspective, most of the time we don't really hate any of them, but we take great satisfaction in beating them, just because they hate us so much. I think part of the national psychological problem with the England football team is that we have this dual national identity of British/English which is a little hard to quantify. The other home nations can safely be intensely nationalist from the high ground of being unwilling colonies. For me, I generally take pride in the whole of the United Kingdom, and find it a bit weird to suddenly just be "English" in identity, which tends to be associated with violent nationalism and beer-swilling imbeciles.

> Welcome To the Future [Driving Progressive]
> Autumn Drive [Progressive]
> The Sunset Session [Everything]

Old Post Dec-05-2017 19:10  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
surprime trainandict

i always thought it was the Ugay

Old Post Dec-05-2017 20:44  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
The Welsh in particularly are infuriatingly nationalist. They see themselves as a nation still colonised by the English, and fight tooth and nail to preserve their pitiful cultural lineage. For example, there are large parts of Wales where all the signage in any shop or public outlet has to be in English and Welsh, even though only around 20% of the Welsh can actually speak Welsh, and still less can speak it fluently.

Both the Welsh and the Scottish absolutely hate the English in sporting terms, and would be delirious if they ever managed to beat us. The Northern Irish aren't quite so bad, perhaps because they've got their own local hatreds taking up all their attention. From an English perspective, most of the time we don't really hate any of them, but we take great satisfaction in beating them, just because they hate us so much. I think part of the national psychological problem with the England football team is that we have this dual national identity of British/English which is a little hard to quantify. The other home nations can safely be intensely nationalist from the high ground of being unwilling colonies. For me, I generally take pride in the whole of the United Kingdom, and find it a bit weird to suddenly just be "English" in identity, which tends to be associated with violent nationalism and beer-swilling imbeciles.

Do the welsh though? I spent a lot of my yoof in wales and although there was a certain ribbing about nationalism, it was kinda all brotherly. yes, they love their Celtic roots and language, but I feel the Welsh and N. Irish are a lot less anti-english than the scots. I also feel the welsh are lot more pro union.

Last time I was in glasgow, we were warned by our Glaswegian bosses not to talk in public (i.e. pubs etc) as they'd cotton on we're English, worse still southerners, and give us a good kicking. Can you imagine telling a shot not to talk in public when in London becuase he might get a kicking? I'd say the Scots are infuriatingly nationalist (aside from their remain vote) and thankfully although they see sense at the referendums, there's this nonsensical idea that they could somehow economically survive seperate from UK financial support (just about every economic review over the last three decades states otherwise).

The obvious issue is the England are a bit sheepish about the St George Flag being a racist symbol but are more openly patriotic about the Union (also becuase it makes us a larger nation ruled by England, duh).

Old Post Dec-07-2017 00:35 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I find Scottish nationalism less infuriating because they have more to be proud of in terms of geography, cities and overall cultural achievement. They might be more hostile than the Welsh, but they're less passive-aggressive.

I work in the signage industry and I have a lot of first-hand experience of how demanding the Welsh are about both their language and about highlighting and protecting their "heritage". The Scottish are nowhere near as bad on either count. The four home nations FAs were set up at the same time in the 19th century, and it's always the Welsh who seem most vocal about protecting this historic organisation whenever a Team GB football side is mooted.

> Welcome To the Future [Driving Progressive]
> Autumn Drive [Progressive]
> The Sunset Session [Everything]

Old Post Dec-07-2017 09:02  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
I work in the signage industry and I have a lot of first-hand experience of how demanding the Welsh are about both their language and about highlighting and protecting their "heritage".

No fucking wonder you hate the Welsh:

Old Post Dec-08-2017 22:57 
Lira
Be a Good One!

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Can you imagine telling a Scot not to talk in public when in London because he might get a kicking?

You'd have assume people understand what he says

Old Post Dec-09-2017 03:21  Brazil
Lira
Be a Good One!

I mean, it's downright savage. If they do this to the English language, just imagine what they'd do to an English person!

Old Post Dec-09-2017 03:27  Brazil
Dykes_on_Jay
Ape me.

No wops? Im rooting for Korea. Yall can go fuck yourselves.

Old Post Dec-09-2017 11:33  China
Click Here to See the Profile for Dykes_on_Jay Click here to Send Dykes_on_Jay a Private Message Visit Dykes_on_Jay's homepage! Add Dykes_on_Jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > FIFA World Cup - Russia 2018
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread