Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Spectrasonics Omnisphere. $500 softsynth
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Robotrance
Sup

i want the prozac the promoter got it must be mixed with ether

Old Post Jan-19-2008 22:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for Robotrance Click here to Send Robotrance a Private Message Add Robotrance to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
3F05Q
is a horrible artist name

Location: Seattle . . . . . Skill Level: Mediocre At Best Clothing: Sometimes

Got to play with it at NAMM. It's truly incredible. There's WAY too much to say about it right now.

Met the guy in the online video. He's... a wierd one.

I promise a writeup tomorrow night. One thing's for sure, I'll be buying this for 500 when it comes out. They are very solid on the release date, unfortunately. Give me time to save up though.

Old Post Jan-20-2008 07:11  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for 3F05Q Click here to Send 3F05Q a Private Message Visit 3F05Q's homepage! Add 3F05Q to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lucidity
Twilight Vanquisher

So is this thing actually a synth or rompler, or both?

Old Post Jan-20-2008 07:16  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Lucidity Click here to Send Lucidity a Private Message Visit Lucidity's homepage! Add Lucidity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
3F05Q

quote:
Originally posted by Lucidity
So is this thing actually a synth or rompler, or both?

both.

Old Post Jan-20-2008 07:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for 3F05Q Click here to Send 3F05Q a Private Message Visit 3F05Q's homepage! Add 3F05Q to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lucidity
Twilight Vanquisher

can u use a rom or sample as an osc? I must admit I am now interested

Old Post Jan-20-2008 08:03  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Lucidity Click here to Send Lucidity a Private Message Visit Lucidity's homepage! Add Lucidity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
3F05Q

Alright folks.. here's the scoop. Spectrasonics had a booth at NAMM devoted almost entirely to Omnisphere. My friend has pictures of the screen as the demo was performed and I'll get those up as soon as he gets them to me. Those can actually tell the story much better than I can, and when I get them I'll update this post.

The following assumes you know Spectrasonics' way of doing things, primarily in relation to Atmosphere and I'll try to order my points intelligently.

For people familiar with Atmosphere, recall that you could have two layers going on. It's the same thing with Omni. An instrument can have two layers, but instead of just a rompler, you now have a waveform oscillator (so Romp-Romp, Romp-Osc, Osc-Osc).

A single layer has an intense amount of options inside itself. Distortion is polyphonic. You can do graintable synthesis of the sample library, but it doesn't sound glitchy at all, and they stress that. It's QUITE smooth, and there are 8 parameters for manipulating it such as rate, grain size, blah blah blah. It even has a basic FM synthesis built in. The 'carrier' doesn't have to be an oscillator, it can be a built in sample. The modulator, however, is an oscillator of your usual variety, which makes sense since having a sample as your modulator would result in noise most of the time. Those are just the main two synthesis options that struck me.

Modulation? Holy crap.. The mod matrix possibilities are huge, and easy to implement. Say you want to modulate the FM modulator frequency (which i believe is specified as a fraction/multiple of the carrier), you just right click and select what source you want... LFO, AMP MOD, FILTER MOD, Some crazy advanced MOD. The advanced mod envelope is great. It's a tempo based X-Y chart in which you can add and subtract vertices and adjust the curves, quite easily I might add. (I have a picture of this coming soon, and it'll clarify what I'm talking about) you can randomize it and snap it to the temp grid and add some flavor to any sound. That can be routed to most anything, as well.

The arpeggiator is pretty sweet, especially, when used in conjunction with their groove/percussion plugin. If you pick a latin rhythm for the percussion, do a tempo lock, and then drag the built-in midi to the Omnisphere, it will apply the groove to the arpeggiation. Instant gratification. (have a picture for this too, stay tuned)

Effects. Imagine Guitar Rig.. or Reason. Very graphically oriented, rack-mount looking interface. Can't give you a list. But you've got your usuals, including a formant filter. I think the formant filter is based off of Delay-Lama, as the little monk dude was on it. I found that interesting.

Alright... so Multiply that times two, and you have an instrument. But you can have 8 instruments at once in what they refer to as "live mode." Now I assume it's just streamlined for live performance, but I'm sure it'd sit just fine for studio production work as well. Anyone familiar with Reason's NN-XT or Live 6's instrument rack will follow this a bit better than others I suppose. (I have a picture of this too, for clarification). An instrment can be assigned to a key range, note velocity, or even modwheel/midi position. Freakin' awesome. Instruments can overlap, and have the ends of the range fade, so transitions throughout the key/mod/velocity range are seamless.

If I think of anything more that I can't recall right now, I'll post it. Oh, and they did their presentation on the biggest Genelec's I've ever seen in person. http://www.genelecusa.com/products/...monitors/1038b/ 15" woofer, cripes.

So... yeah, there ya go. I'll be saving up for it.

Old Post Jan-21-2008 02:02  United States
3F05Q

UNISON! It has unison, just rememberd. It sounds HUGE.

Old Post Jan-21-2008 03:14  United States
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

Thanks for that review, 3F05Q!

Drooling....can't....stop.....drooling...

Sonar X3 | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine

Old Post Jan-21-2008 04:31  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list cryophonik is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
glsmaster
tranceaddict

Great review .

I really appreciate it.

Well... just to say that we must wait to see what this cool softsyth could do.

At first sight... its really impressive.

Old Post Jan-21-2008 05:56  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for glsmaster Click here to Send glsmaster a Private Message Visit glsmaster's homepage! Add glsmaster to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
System101
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
Thanks for that review, 3F05Q!

Drooling....can't....stop.....drooling...

yeah.. basically.

Old Post Jan-21-2008 17:57  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for System101 Click here to Send System101 a Private Message Visit System101's homepage! Add System101 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
System101
Supreme tranceaddict

finally some videos of this beast are surfacing on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UuSikerBuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m7dQW_hlcA

Old Post Jan-21-2008 18:17  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for System101 Click here to Send System101 a Private Message Visit System101's homepage! Add System101 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
3F05Q

quote:
Originally posted by System101
finally some videos of this beast are surfacing on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UuSikerBuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m7dQW_hlcA

Yeah, that first video has some good screens of what I was talking about. Thanks for posting that.

Old Post Jan-21-2008 20:07  United States

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Spectrasonics Omnisphere. $500 softsynth
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread