TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont.
-- Deadmau5 breaks down the take-home pay for a celebrity DJ
Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »

Posted by Yohan on May-13-2011 05:00:

Deadmau5 breaks down the take-home pay for a celebrity DJ

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...-150059441.html

quote:
Success may have struck electronic music superstar Deadmau5, but he doesn't feel any richer for it, based on some candid thoughts he recently shared with fans.

Joel Zimmerman, the Niagara Falls native whose occasionally mouse-headed persona performed at the 2010 Winter Olympics and walked the red carpet at the recent Juno Awards, has risen to the top of the DJ culture heap in the past five years.

A status update posted Wednesday night on his public Facebook page, though, might have led to the conclusion he's actually broke.

"Why does everyone think I'm a bloody millionaire?" asked Zimmerman, who explained what happens to every $10 given to Deadmau5.

EMI, the music company he signed a reported 1 million deal with in 2009, is the recipient of half of the cash. Management from the Three Six Zero Group, the same company that handles other world-famous DJ names like Calvin Harris and Mark Ronson, get $2 out of the $10.

And the booking agent credited with Deadmau5's fame, whose curiosity was piqued because he was also named Joel Zimmerman, has steered $1.50 to the influential William Morris Endeavor agency.

So, that means $1.50 is left for the artist: " . . . and with that $1.50 I have to put on shows, pay for staging, pay for flights/travel, hotels, meals and feed the cat and pay a mortgage.

"Then, pay the tax guy."

The mini-rant elicited more than 2,000 comments from his three million Facebook followers. Some were sympathetic, while others extended offers of financial advice, although many found his complaint absurd.

Based on current booking fees, that $1.50 he's left with would apparently translate into $15,000 per live performance, although Deadmau5's $12 million annual income speculated by the website Celebrity Net Worth may indeed have been exaggerated.

Nonetheless, the instantaneous reaction might have spurred Zimmerman to clarify his point: " . . . but the real value I get out of every aspect of the deal is . . . is that I have millions of people who have supported me and my music over the years. And that, to me, is worth more than all the money in the world."

And, in case there was any doubt the 30-year-old would rather be doing something else with his life, he drove the point home in a follow-up status update.

"If it was money I was after . . . I'd be a lawyer."

Posted by rabbitjoker on May-13-2011 05:33:

Not sure he is smart enough to be a lawyer.

Maybe for him 15% is a good deal.

Posted by TranceGrooves on May-13-2011 05:45:

Re: Deadmau5 breaks down the take-home pay for a celebrity DJ

He pays for his own flights, staging, hotel stays etc etc etc?????

Does he pay the clubs or events organizations to play at their event? Is that how the industry is transforming? Artists paying the promoters to play at their event?

Posted by VDub on May-13-2011 12:26:

What about merchandise??

Also, he says for every $10 right? How many of those $10 are there??

And I've never heard of the artist EVER paying for his transport and accom...

Maybe he needs better management??

I don't think the guy is U2 rich but I'm pretty sure he's doing just fine...

Posted by Big Boss on May-13-2011 14:11:

Not going to cry for him if he's making bad deals.

Posted by ChemEnhanced on May-13-2011 14:14:

I think he has enough other sources of income from his music that he doesn't need to worry about touring being his money maker.

Posted by DigDeep on May-13-2011 14:37:

He's 30?

Posted by CODE on May-13-2011 14:40:

Lol this is too funy.

That is complete bullshit.Its so oozing of shit its funny.

1) an artists or dj of that class never pays for flights
or hotels or for food. thats the promoters costs.

2) His record label has nothing to do with his performance fee's.
The only one getting money from that is Him and his booking agent.
So if he is getting 30K per shot. its actually $34 500 as the booking
agent add %15...its not subtacted from his fee.

3) The record labels get a cut of his Music sales. Yes thats what they
do. Plus he is not counting all the remix work plus merchandise etc..

4) artists make their money off touring and playing abroad. He plays
alot so he is getting some serious coin.

5) He needs to wipe his mouth cause he is talking too much shit,

the end.

Posted by GGM on May-13-2011 15:27:

^^^ agreed, I called bullshit the second I read it.

Aside from that making no sense whatsoever just look who it's coming from, through what medium and why. I think the way it went is he made some status about buying a camera but wants to wait for a new one to come out to buy. I didnt read the fan replies but I'm guessing they were full of "you're rich, buy both!" type comments. Shortly after the camera one he posts that status about not being rich, so to me it was just BS so his fans don't feel like tards for dropping $90 on a show of his. I think people took that status waaaayyy too seriously.

The $1.50 of $10 makes no sense. Maybe if you were talking about $10 worth of record sales in the 90s ya I would agree. But for touring? Cmon guys don't take him that seriously.

To use Tiesto as a base what was that report a few weeks ago saying something like 20 mil last year? Mau5 might not have done as many shows but he was touring his ass off nonetheless and his avg ticket is much more than Tiesto's. So even if you go low side and say 15 mil, and even if he's got crazy expenses cmon you're still talking about millions.

Posted by bucky on May-13-2011 15:28:

It's amusing how people hang on every word he says and can't wait to try and rip him apart.. he posts an update on facebook and there's hundreds of replies in seconds.

Looking forward to seeing him at the Rogers Center in November!

Posted by LKD on May-13-2011 15:54:

orly?

bucky, we only rip him apart for fun. we secretly love his BS about being broke so much.

PS. most gigs a DJ does is off the books.

Posted by darouge11 on May-13-2011 16:11:

spent all his money on coca-cola

Posted by LKD on May-13-2011 16:12:

quote:
Originally posted by darouge11
spent all his money on coca-cola

....pepsi

Posted by I_Am_Vince on May-13-2011 16:12:

quote:
Originally posted by CODE

2) His record label has nothing to do with his performance fee's.
The only one getting money from that is Him and his booking agent.
So if he is getting 30K per shot. its actually $34 500 as the booking
agent add %15...its not subtacted from his fee.

I believe he's in a 360 deal, which is beginning to get really popular with labels now. Basically the label gets 50% of all your revenues from every aspect of your career, touring, merchandise, album sales, etc. Except licensing.

Posted by I_Am_Vince on May-13-2011 16:19:

quote:
Originally posted by GGM

The $1.50 of $10 makes no sense. Maybe if you were talking about $10 worth of record sales in the 90s ya I would agree.

That sounds about right.

360 deal = record label keeps half.

Management should be getting about 20% but an artist at deadmau5's level or high could be giving their manager a lot less cause they don't have to do as much work promoting them. I've heard somewhere that Lady Gaga's manager is getting something like 3-5%?

The booking agency typically takes 15%, he's with William Morris Agency which is the biggest booking agency in the world too.

What I find fishy is why he would have to pay for his own flights, hotels, food that should all be part of his rider when they book him.

Posted by cammaxwell on May-13-2011 16:52:

quote:
Originally posted by I_Am_Vince
That sounds about right.

360 deal = record label keeps half.

Management should be getting about 20% but an artist at deadmau5's level or high could be giving their manager a lot less cause they don't have to do as much work promoting them. I've heard somewhere that Lady Gaga's manager is getting something like 3-5%?

The booking agency typically takes 15%, he's with William Morris Agency which is the biggest booking agency in the world too.

What I find fishy is why he would have to pay for his own flights, hotels, food that should all be part of his rider when they book him.

When you pay the artist booking fee, the agency usually adds there cut ON TOP of that fee, so it's doesn't actually come out the booking fee at all. And as others have mentioned the hotel and flight are included so there's no cost there either.

If his booking fee is $100,000 as the article indicates, and he is in a 360 deal, then he's still making $50,000 per show. If he only plays once a week (which is unlikely) than that's $200,000 a month or $2.4 million a year. This isn't including income from that record deal or any sales on music/merchandise.

So yeah, he is a millionaire. Even if he made half of that per year, he's been doing it for enough years to still be considered a millionaire.

(if he averages two gigs a week, that's $4.8 mill a year!)

Posted by Inrush on May-13-2011 17:09:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...mau5-net-worth/

He's not just a millionaire, he's a multimillionaire

Posted by ~C~ on May-13-2011 17:16:

quote:
Originally posted by bucky
It's amusing how people hang on every word he says and can't wait to try and rip him apart.. he posts an update on facebook and there's hundreds of replies in seconds.

Exactly. I saw the status, and laughed. But honestly, it was just a facebook status. It def. wasn't meant to be picked apart for it's level of truth in the real world. I'm not sure why anyone would take anything that guy says seriously in the first place? lol I actually feel bad for him in this case. It's sad that it's gotten to the point that people take his fb statuses so seriously, that they turn them into articles picking them apart! It's kind of pathetic actually.

Posted by CODE on May-13-2011 17:24:

Posted by Swamper on May-13-2011 17:44:

quote:
Originally posted by ~C~
Exactly. I saw the status, and laughed. But honestly, it was just a facebook status. It def. wasn't meant to be picked apart for it's level of truth in the real world. I'm not sure why anyone would take anything that guy says seriously in the first place? lol I actually feel bad for him in this case. It's sad that it's gotten to the point that people take his fb statuses so seriously, that they turn them into articles picking them apart! It's kind of pathetic actually.

When you reach a certain fan following/level of success then it comes with the territory that your fb status updates/tweets are representative of your thoughts/beliefs - at what point those updates become 'newsworthy' is a matter of debate but if a hollywood star or lady gaga had a similar update (regarding their earnings) then you best believe the 'media' outlets would be all over it.

Posted by Shaya007 on May-13-2011 18:04:

come on..really? no $$$? damn it

Posted by Digit ILL on May-13-2011 18:10:

If I started caring about what other people make financially, rest assured it wouldnt be some guy with a gimmick on his noggin.

Posted by Prometheus Xex on May-13-2011 19:41:

quote:
Originally posted by bucky
.. he posts an update on facebook and there's hundreds of replies in seconds.

That's prob the funniest thing I joke about with my son when I happen to catch it. Two minutes will go by and there's already several thousand likes, and two hundred replies. Do they wait online for every second to go by just in case he posts something? Granted he popular with his fans, but that seems a little crazy... LOL.

Posted by VDub on May-13-2011 19:44:

Kids these days are retarded, Francis...

Posted by Prometheus Xex on May-13-2011 19:46:

quote:
Originally posted by VDub
Kids these days are retarded, Francis...

"Kids"... LOL. OK gramps.

Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »