tranceaddict Forums

tranceaddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- DJ Booth
-- Audio Recording for TRAKTOR please help!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »

Posted by DJ Willyson on Nov-24-2010 07:45:

Audio Recording for TRAKTOR please help!

I'm currently using Traktor Pro with AUDIO 4.
Any way i can record my set?

My set:
Turntables
Mixer
laptop

Please pass on any ideas!

thanks a million

Posted by orTofønChiLd on Nov-24-2010 08:08:

u need an external soundcard

Posted by chewy dragee on Nov-24-2010 13:31:

If you are using audio 4 I think pretty much all your channels are being used.

I would connect a cable from the mixer and plug it onto the PC's Mic-in. Then record via Audacity or some such using the PC's standard soundcard.

That's the absolute cheapest way to do it.

Posted by veezee on Nov-24-2010 17:08:

You need to plug into a LINE IN , if you plug into a MIC , your recording will sound horrible.

Jay

Posted by brucelee6783 on Nov-24-2010 21:00:

I use Sound Forge, and set it to record my soundcards output. You don't have to use SF though, there are free programs on the net that can do this for you, you just have to google for them.

Posted by DJ Willyson on Nov-24-2010 21:16:

Thanks a lot guys. When i have time, i think i'm going to record it through the mic-in to see what quality, i get. I remember I tried that before, it was baddd quality.

Posted by brucelee6783 on Nov-24-2010 21:46:

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Willyson
Thanks a lot guys. When i have time, i think i'm going to record it through the mic-in to see what quality, i get. I remember I tried that before, it was baddd quality.

You don't understand. You already have everything plugged in already, there's nothing else to plug in. You're using your tables and mixer to control the software inside the laptop, right? Well, Traktor's final output will come out of the laptops soundcard. The sound isn't coming out of your tables, the sound is coming from your laptop.

EDIT : When you say that you're using Traktor Pro, I'm assuming what you mean by "turntables", is the virtual turntables on your Traktor controller. Unless you're using BOTH Traktor and Vinyl?!?!!?!

Posted by djsaekone on Nov-24-2010 21:54:

plug the outputs of your mixer into another recording source...like tape deck...another laptop....cd recorder...mini disc...etc..

Posted by DJ Willyson on Nov-25-2010 20:11:

quote:
Originally posted by brucelee6783
You don't understand. You already have everything plugged in already, there's nothing else to plug in. You're using your tables and mixer to control the software inside the laptop, right? Well, Traktor's final output will come out of the laptops soundcard. The sound isn't coming out of your tables, the sound is coming from your laptop.

EDIT : When you say that you're using Traktor Pro, I'm assuming what you mean by "turntables", is the virtual turntables on your Traktor controller. Unless you're using BOTH Traktor and Vinyl?!?!!?!

Yes, I am using BOTH Traktor software with actually REAL turntable with Time Code Vinyls.

Posted by brucelee6783 on Nov-25-2010 22:44:

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Willyson
Yes, I am using BOTH Traktor software with actually REAL turntable with Time Code Vinyls.

Then I was right. The music isnt coming from the tt's, it's coming from the laptop's soundcard. There is nothing else you need to plug into your computer. Simply use audio recording software to record the output from the soundcard.

Posted by DJ Willyson on Nov-26-2010 00:08:

Umm bruce for the attempt, but i dont think you understand the situation. I told you, its an AUDIO 4 Soundcard, if you know what it is, all the outputs are taking already. thanks for your help anyways.

Posted by brucelee6783 on Nov-26-2010 02:12:

Look man, I know what I'm talking about. You obviously don't, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for help with it. Please listen to what I'm telling you. Look at this pic, which is Serato, but functions the same as Traktor w/Audio 4.

Uploaded with **************

Your shit needs to look like that, then you can use your laptop to record your sets. Whether or not all of your outputs are being used is irrelevant.

Posted by dj_macgyver on Nov-26-2010 11:32:

the audio 4 dj does not come with an aux in/out like the sl3 box. it just has two in channels and two out channels. all used up when playing on timecoded vinyls or cds:

theoretically one could record the two output channels, but what's that good for? what the OP wants is to record what comes out of his external mixer.

he needs an additional input for that, so either switch to an audio 8 dj or use an additional soundcard.

Posted by skip on Nov-26-2010 13:17:

macgyver knows the score, bruce doesn't! Listen to macgyver!

Posted by skip on Nov-26-2010 20:15:

If he has a mixer (and not a MIDI controller) like stated in his original post, then the actual mixing is happening on his mixer and not in Traktor. Traktor just sends two signals to his mixer and the audio mixing happens in the mixer. Traktor has no idea what's happening in the mixer. So if he wants to record his set, he can't do that unless he takes the signal out of the mixer and connects that to some input on his computer (another sound card than the Audio 4 DJ as that hasn't got any inputs left after hooking up the timecode setup) and records that with some program. Fact.

Edit: Timecode never goes to the mixer. Timecode goes from his decks to the Audio 4 DJ on his computer and the Audio 4 DJ sends audio from the computer to the mixer.

Edit 2:
quote:
Originally posted by brucelee6783

You guys shouldn't be responding in a thread where you have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by brucelee6783 on Nov-26-2010 20:57:

Yeah, you're right. Damn, what was I thinking?

As far as I can see, Audio 4 only uses a free usb port on his computer.

Does Audio 4 use the line-in on his laptops soundcard (if his laptop even has that)? If not, just run rca's from the mixers outputs to the laptops line-in...

Posted by orTofønChiLd on Nov-27-2010 10:19:

owned, good job skip and macgyver, i was to lazy to respond to this thread

Posted by [Oliver Noir] on Nov-27-2010 20:19:

why u don´t using the traktor pro internal recordfunction?
traktor pro is able 2 record your mix in .wav format and
u can convert it into mp3 - if u want with iTunes..
for excample!

Posted by orTofønChiLd on Nov-28-2010 02:25:

quote:
Originally posted by [Oliver Noir]
for excample!

he 's not using traktor's internal mixer so therefor he cannot record internally.

Posted by dj_macgyver on Nov-28-2010 14:14:

quote:
Originally posted by [Oliver Noir]
for excample!

quote:
Originally posted by orTofønChiLd
he 's not using traktor's internal mixer so therefor he cannot record internally.

the "internal" record functionality of traktor can be used to record "externally" too... little confusing here. i'm using it myself, but i'm on scratch pro and therefor have two inputs left on my soundcard (audio 8 dj). using traktor scratch duo in the way displayed in above picture you just don't have the necessary inputs to do that.

the computer line-in (if availabe) is officially an option, but might not deliver the best sound quality, depending on your computer hardware you will however need to use another piece of software for recording, as traktor only makes use of a single sound card as of now.

Posted by orTofønChiLd on Nov-29-2010 04:14:

quote:
Originally posted by dj_macgyver
the "internal" record functionality of traktor can be used to record "externally" too... little confusing here. i'm using it myself, but i'm on scratch pro and therefor have two inputs left on my soundcard (audio 8 dj). using traktor scratch duo in the way displayed in above picture you just don't have the necessary inputs to do that.

the computer line-in (if availabe) is officially an option, but might not deliver the best sound quality, depending on your computer hardware you will however need to use another piece of software for recording, as traktor only makes use of a single sound card as of now.

wait you can use internal record function using a laptops line in feature?

Posted by drogtech on Nov-29-2010 16:50:

quick question, does audio 4 dj allows you to connect studio monitors if you use time code vinyl if not does audio 8 dj ?

Posted by orTofønChiLd on Nov-29-2010 16:55:

quote:
Originally posted by drogtech
quick question, does audio 4 dj allows you to connect studio monitors if you use time code vinyl if not does audio 8 dj ?

like the picture shows, all ins and outs are being used on audio4 dj when using timecode vinyl. The audio 8dj has another set of outs that lets you connect to studio monitors if thats the route u want to take.

Posted by drogtech on Nov-29-2010 17:34:

quote:
Originally posted by orTofønChiLd
like the picture shows, all ins and outs are being used on audio4 dj when using timecode vinyl. The audio 8dj has another set of outs that lets you connect to studio monitors if thats the route u want to take.

ok so what about to switch from scratch to ableton? I could still use that interface for mixing with external mixer in ableton?

Posted by orTofønChiLd on Nov-29-2010 17:45:

quote:
Originally posted by drogtech
ok so what about to switch from scratch to ableton? I could still use that interface for mixing with external mixer in ableton?

good question, idk, i'm sure someone on here can answer that for you easily

Edit: Found this on djforums

Additionally, the SL1 can be used as a standard 2 stereo in/out ASIO soundcard with other software. i use mine with Ableton sometimes.

Pages (2): [1] 2 »