TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Music Discussion
-- beatport lossless? where does the extra $$ goto?

Posted by movingincircles on May-07-2009 18:35:

beatport lossless? where does the extra $$ goto?

do artists make more if people were to buy the more expensive lossless tracks from beatport? or does all of the extra $$$ goto beatport

Posted by elFreak on May-07-2009 18:41:

artists get a percentage of sales (scale) so yes.

now what is the lame performer name you chose, inquiring minds would like to know.

Posted by nefardec on May-07-2009 18:47:

are you sure?

i'd think that (in part) the extra $$ goes to storage and server costs

Posted by elFreak on May-07-2009 18:54:

from the few release contracts that i have had the chance to see, payment is made on a scale basis. (after costs.) These contracts mean sell more, get paid more. I don't pretend to know it all, but I am pretty sure the server space does not cost beatport what you and i or the average joe blow would pay.

Posted by THE_Chris on May-07-2009 19:47:

Beatport are a bunch of crooks with their wav charging.

Posted by Blake_Jarrell on May-07-2009 20:38:

I've always wondered this too but recent statements i've got from beatport seem to show that the artist does not get any $ from the wav handling charge...wouldn't make sense that we would anyway. I do think the price of the wav handling charge should be adjusted to reflect todays current server/bandwith/storage prices...or have some sort of way to upgrade your account for a flat fee and you can download wav's instead of mp3s at the same cost...that would be alot more fair and current than $1 per wav file.

Posted by nefardec on May-07-2009 20:43:

quote:
Originally posted by THE_Chris
Beatport are a bunch of crooks with their wav charging.

that's my theory

Posted by bas on May-07-2009 21:07:

What Blake said sounds right. I certainly hope the artist isn't getting paid less for someone buying an mp3 vs a WAV...that's just illogical.

Posted by xtr3m on May-07-2009 21:19:

Dealing with WAV files does increase storage and bandwidth needs and expenses. However, it's probably not as much as $1.00 per track.

Having said all that, 320kbps MP3 is perfectly fine for any environment.

Posted by elFreak on May-07-2009 21:35:

i agree, until you play on a sound system that is not garbage.

big systems you can tell, the sony headphones, not so much.

Posted by Robotrance on May-07-2009 22:05:

50% is 50% whether its mp3 or wav or 20mb or 90mb

Posted by julien2 on May-07-2009 22:06:

Are the WAV really WAV ?

I heard of some transcoded MP3s (~128 to 320 transcode) being sold at Beatport.

Do any of you check for transcoded MP3s ?

Posted by basilisk on May-07-2009 22:13:

quote:
Originally posted by elFreak
i agree, until you play on a sound system that is not garbage.

big systems you can tell, the sony headphones, not so much.

Exactly. 90% of the time it probably doesn't matter... but pros shouldn't use MP3s.

Checking for transcodes? Try Googling "audiochecker" for some software.

Posted by julien2 on May-07-2009 23:31:

Audition = the standard software to check for transcodes.

I was just asking if ppl took the time to check for transcodes. I mean, paying for a transcoded MP3 sucks !

edit: audiochecker is also cool, but i prefer actually seeing the spectrals

Posted by Domesticated on May-07-2009 23:53:

I would like beatport to institute an upgrade facility of some sort. I buy a lot of mp3s which I later want in wav format for mixes or general listening pleasure, and it bugs me that I have to pay the full cost again.

There should be an option to pay the extra dollar and then get the wav.

Beatport are crooks anyway, yeah.

Posted by Joss Weatherby on May-07-2009 23:59:

The fact that a lot of the stuff coming out on Beatport and these other online only release places is usually of lower mastering quality than a lot of older tracks makes some of the 320 vs WAV argument moot.

I have got some pretty shite sounding WAV tracks and MP3 tracks on Beatport.

I think there is a different mentality to people when they essentially do not have to put down any sort of money to get a track out there besides licenses and such. Things pressed to vinyl and CD took a significant investment of money and material.

Posted by MrJiveBoJingles on May-08-2009 00:03:

quote:
Originally posted by Joss Weatherby
I think there is a different mentality to people when they essentially do not have to put down any sort of money to get a track out there besides licenses and such. Things pressed to vinyl and CD took a significant investment of money and material.

Yep. Bring back vinyl!

Posted by Az on May-08-2009 00:10:

I'm sure I read somewhere the other day that the wav handling charge gets split between beatport and the label, I'll try and find my sauce