TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont.
-- Deadmau5 breaks down the take-home pay for a celebrity DJ
Pages (12): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »

Posted by activate on May-17-2011 14:16:

quote:
Originally posted by VDub

And I've never heard of the artist EVER paying for his transport

I've not paid for an artists flight in about 6 years.

The artists get paid a little more, but the transportation comes out of their fee.

Posted by Jayx1 on May-17-2011 14:23:

quote:
Originally posted by activate
I've not paid for an artists flight in about 6 years.

The artists get paid a little more, but the transportation comes out of their fee.

landed fees just bundle the cost. But you are still paying for the flight diff being that the booking agent or the artist gets to rack up the credit card points.

Posted by gmorrison on May-17-2011 14:32:

yep to jayz1 !!! that is honestly the greatest perk of all. all in fees are a godsend, imagine if promoters were left buying your flights? you'd be doing 2 transfers each way, on westjets & easyjets hahah

Posted by StereoPrincess on May-17-2011 16:33:

lol, i wouldn't think deadmau5 is a super multimillionaire. i think he may have like Nelly Furtado money, or like Arcade Fire money. But he definitely does not have Jay-Z, P. Diddy or Madonna money.

First of all, he hasn't been around for that many years. Music is mostly what he does. He doesn't even seem to do too many endorsements and if he does, I am not well aware of them. His songs aren't even in any ads currently as far as I can tell. Also doesn't sell a clothing line and he doesn't even do interviews or anything like that.

And I think a lot of you just have skewed idea of how rich people are based on what they do.

Posted by ChemEnhanced on May-17-2011 16:49:

I don't think he is filthy stinking rich but even if his take home after everything else is paid for is $3,000.00 on average that would still be impressive. I wish I had a job that paid me $1,000.00 an hour.

Posted by thesauce23 on May-17-2011 16:59:

quote:
Originally posted by ChemEnhanced
I don't think he is filthy stinking rich but even if his take home after everything else is paid for is $3,000.00 on average that would still be impressive. I wish I had a job that paid me $1,000.00 an hour.

talk to the $5000 dj on this forum yo

Posted by VDub on May-17-2011 17:10:

quote:
Originally posted by StereoPrincess
First of all, he hasn't been around for that many years. Music is mostly what he does. He doesn't even seem to do too many endorsements and if he does, I am not well aware of them. His songs aren't even in any ads currently as far as I can tell. Also doesn't sell a clothing line and he doesn't even do interviews or anything like that.

Have you not been in a Foot Locker recently??

Why when I read your posts, do I read them with a Polish accent??

Posted by StereoPrincess on May-17-2011 17:32:

quote:
Originally posted by VDub
Why when I read your posts, do I read them with a Polish accent??

lol, i dunno. there are many reasons for that probably.

what about the Foot Locker. Yes, I have been. Didn't see a giant Mouse head in there.

Posted by *~LiSa-LoO~* on May-17-2011 18:07:

quote:
Originally posted by ChemEnhanced

I agree.

Margs, I don't think most people in this thread think he's a multi-millionaire or anything. Of course we can't compare him to people like Jay-Z or Madonna. But I think it's fair to assume he's making more than the average Joe and living a nice life. Not to mention, while he may not have big endorsements from Foot Locker etc. his popularity in mainstream media is growing. Take the appearance on Gossip Girl as an example. He's definitely becoming more of a household name for people who don't even regularly listen to EDM.

Posted by Zyklon_Jay on May-17-2011 18:10:

lol @ Arcade Fire level money.

Arcade Fire sells out stadiums, and commands one of the bigger fees around right now. They are way bigger than deadmau5...not even close.

Posted by GGM on May-17-2011 18:17:

Jay-z is probably closer to being a billionaire than a millionaire (ie over 500m). He wipes his ass with mau5 money, but nonetheless mau5 is still rich and a millionaire..

Posted by StereoPrincess on May-17-2011 18:27:

quote:
Originally posted by Zyklon_Jay
They are way bigger than deadmau5...not even close.

simple answer to this is no.

Posted by VDub on May-17-2011 18:33:

quote:
lol, i dunno. there are many reasons for that probably.

what about the Foot Locker. Yes, I have been. Didn't see a giant Mouse head in there.

Lotsa t-shirts though...

Posted by Zyklon_Jay on May-17-2011 18:40:

quote:
simple answer to this is no.

you are wrong.

so one of the biggest mainstream rock bands that sells out stadiums across the world, and won album at the year at the grammys is not as big as deadmau5?

example?

Osheaga Montreal last year ...both were booked. Arcade Fire was headlining the main stage, Deadmau5 (who didn't show anyways) was playing a small stage in the middle of the day.

I work for that festival. Arcade fire commands way more per show than deamau5 because they are"

1.bigger world wide.
2.have sold more units
3.play and sell out way bigger venues. (including selling out 7 straight uk STADIUM shows without even having an album on a major label)
4.rewards, billboard charts...all beat out mau5.

you can keep arguing, but i personally know for a fact that ratman can't even tie their shoes when it comes to revenue.

What is next? Deadmau5 is bigger than Coldplay? Because Arcade Fire's fee is almost the same as theirs.

Posted by Zyklon_Jay on May-17-2011 18:48:

i'll take your back peddle withy fries, because you really don't have a leg to stand on here.

Posted by StereoPrincess on May-17-2011 18:49:

quote:
you are wrong.

so one of the biggest mainstream rock bands that sells out stadiums across the world, and won album at the year at the grammys is not as big as deadmau5?

example?

Osheaga Montreal last year (which I work for)...both were booked. Arcade Fire was headlining the main stage, Deadmau5 (who didn't show anyways) was playing a small stage in the middle of the day.

I work for that festival. Arcade fire commands way more per show than deamau5 because they are"

1.bigger world wide.
2.have sold more units
3.play and sell out way bigger venues. (including selling out 7 straight uk shows without even having an album on a major label)
4.rewards, billboard charts...all beat out mau5.

you can keep arguing, but i personally know for a fact that ratman can't even tie their shoes when it comes to revenue.

What is next? Deadmau5 is bigger than Coldplay? Because Arcade Fire's fee is almost the same as theirs.

lol. i thought we were arguing about who is richer not who is "bigger".

and no arcade fire does not make significantly more than deadmau5.

as for your popularity claims. i was at the grammy's, watched arcade fire preform, with every single person around us asking who the fuck they were. so i dunno.

arcade fire also doesn't have endorsements and other lines of income like jay-z.

you missed the point of the convo.

Posted by StereoPrincess on May-17-2011 18:50:

quote:
i'll take your back peddle withy fries, because you really don't have a leg to stand on here.

lol, who me?

i guess you haven't been here for too long.

Posted by Zyklon_Jay on May-17-2011 18:53:

we aren't talking jay z. we are talking deadmau5 and arcade fire.

the brunt of jay-z's fortune has nothing to do with his music. do you want to start comparing celine dion and keisha now? give me a break.

you clearly said deadmau5 makes arcade fire type money...when really he isn't even on their radar in terms of booking fee.

how do you know any of these claims you make? the answer is you don't, you are guessing. I am not.

Posted by StereoPrincess on May-17-2011 19:40:

quote:
how do you know any of these claims you make? the answer is you don't, you are guessing. I am not.

unless you are the person that negotiates the fees for each of the acts, you don't know either. and again, the money doesn't go to the artists like it's written in the original post. just because you work at one place, doesn't give you the know it all for each place that pays to see an act play.

No fucking shit that in Montreal people think that Arcade Fire is the be all and end all of music, but that opinion is skewed since they are from there. Montreal would probably also pay the highest fees for Arcade Fire, the home town heros. The rest of the world, really doesn't give that much shit about them even if they are critically acclaimed.

no, they do not sell out stadiums. they play at large festivals with huge other acts. osheaga was co headlined with weezer, along with metric, snoop dogg and 100 other acts. so if that is what you are basing your info on, it's a pretty weak point.

my opinion is that arcade fire probably makes the same money as deadmau5 in a year, the past year probably. who knows what will happen in the future. they both have long careers ahead of them.

in fact, they play the same events. particularly this summer's festival season.

you can disagree with my opinion but it's my opinion and i don't care what you say.

and to be honest, the fact that deadmau5 is playing at Rogers Centre and Arcade Fire is not, i think that speaks volumes in itself.

Posted by Zyklon_Jay on May-17-2011 19:44:

i don't do the bookings but work for the festival.

you have opinions based on what you think and can't even make good diet choices.

i win tubby.

why don't you use google to inform yourself a bit.

Posted by GGM on May-17-2011 20:03:

If you're talking about pure $$ I'd say mau5 > Arcade Fire.

1 reason, with Arcade Fire you're splitting their fee amongst 7 members + anyone else they use on tour. With mau5 you're talking likely a 90/10 or 85/15 split between him and opener/s. That and the ability for a DJ to do shows logistically is a lot less work so he can pump out shows more frequently.

For popularity you can't really compare the 2 just because he's EDM and to date no one in that genre has come close to touching mainstream chart acts. But this thread is about cash so I'd still stay mau5 wins.

Posted by Zyklon_Jay on May-17-2011 20:52:

arcade fire donated 850 000$ to the world aids fun last year...and another million of their own money to haiti last year.

they must be broke.

you guys seriously have no clue how the business works.

i personally think their music stinks...but come on now.

Posted by StereoPrincess on May-17-2011 20:52:

quote:
i don't do the bookings but work for the festival.

you have opinions based on what you think and can't even make good diet choices.

i win tubby.

why don't you use google to inform yourself a bit.

yeah, that's what i thought. you have no retort so you lower the discussion to my weight. i can easily lose weight, your dick can't grow, your face can't improve without major surgery, your intelligence cannot rise, and your personality cannot improve. so google that, dumbass.

Posted by Zyklon_Jay on May-17-2011 20:53:

quote:
arcade fire donated 850 000$ to the world aids fun last year...and another million of their own money to haiti last year.

they must be broke.

you guys seriously have no clue how the business works.

i personally think their music stinks...but come on now.

there you go.

keep guessing about things you have no clue about...like what a vegetable is.

Posted by I_Am_Vince on May-17-2011 22:49:

quote:

And I think a lot of you just have skewed idea of how rich people are based on what they do.

Sorry Margs but this is way off the mark.

He has merchandise in Foot Locker. He has endorsement deals with DJ Hero, Rogers, Puma, Wind Mobile.

His song was in CSI: Las Vegas, America's Best Dance Crew and he had a cameo in Gossip Girls.

I'm sure there's tons more that I'm missing.

Pages (12): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »