return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont.

Review: Bryan Kearney@Toika
View this Thread in Original format
educator_bhoy
Long time lurker here and finally decided to make a contribution after I went to this awesome event last night. Bear with me as I am not sure what to put in a review. This was my first visit ever to Toika and the only negatives are I didnt realize how small the place was and it can get really hot when it becomes crowded, but those are minor irritations.I got in about 11:30, good crowd and Mr. Morton's opening set was absolutely amazing. Kearney comes on about 1 am and well he is Bryan "!@#$% Kearney, it was interesting the contrast between the 2 styles of trance but it's like cake and pie, both are awesome.

One thing I wanted to mention how impressed with was the crowd at this club, they ran the entire range of all shades of the rainbow and age range. Everyone was respectful and friendly, no deliberate pushing shoving or pushing even though it was crowded and when someone did bump into me I did get an apology, I am always worried about large crowds because I have a disability and it can get iffy, even had a couple of very attractive women just strike up a conversation (try that at a bigger club in Toronto lol) All in all a great night and looking forward to going back to Toika to see Eelke Kleijn next month.
Orko
quote:
Originally posted by educator_bhoy
it was interesting the contrast between the 2 styles of trance but it's like cake and pie, both are awesome.
v-vaughn
<3 Didn't think people still played like he played that night. Maybe I haven't lost ALL hope.
Prometheus Xex
quote:
Originally posted by educator_bhoy

EVERYONE there is friendly, and when you associate with many of them over time, like I have, it always feels like family.
educator_bhoy
you are definitely spot on with everyone being friendly, a lot of people seemed to know each other (yep like a family) and that was cool, I went alone as most of the friends I have do not like the same kind of music that I do but I never felt like I was out of place, looking forward to another Kearney show there and possibly another great trance DJ.
Bjorn Akesson August 9th, John 00 Fleming August 23rd.

Those parties should be great
AY STAR
quote:
Originally posted by chris1011
Bjorn Akesson August 9th, John 00 Fleming August 23rd.

Those parties should be great

i seen akesson back in nov, dont expect much outta him
he spins alot of trouse,electro and even some dubstep yes dubstep
his last 30 min or so he got into a lil trance but overall it was a disapointment
joof on the other hand is BOSS
quote:
Originally posted by AY STAR
i seen akesson back in nov, dont expect much outta him
he spins alot of trouse,electro and even some dubstep yes dubstep
his last 30 min or so he got into a lil trance but overall it was a disapointment
joof on the other hand is BOSS

Yeah I've seen JOOF almost every single time he's been in Toronto ;)

Damn that sucks about Akesson... I haven't listened to any of his sets but I just assumed it would have been the sound ala Painting Pyramids, etc.

I can't go to that party anyways, but maybe the OP would like to check it out :)
educator_bhoy
well I was actually thinking of checking that out but that whole dubstep thing has me very reluctant :)
Ozmozis
Artists play different sets in different environments. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Ozmozis
Artists play different sets in different environments. ;)

Very true ;)
thefunk
I always used to get Will Atkinson confused with Bjorn Akesson...however after listening to a few Akesson sets, it's Will Atkinson who plays the real trance. He on the other hand would be a delight to see.

Great review on the Kearney show. Downloaded the set he uploaded and it sounded like an amazing night indeed. Nice to see guys like him getting more touring exposure..keeping alive what's little left in the trance scene.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement