return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 
Going back to PC
View this Thread in Original format
Looney4Clooney
One of my mac pros has been acting weird. Random power offs. Ordered a new PSU., replaced the cmos batter, did everything i could possibly think of. The new mac pros are way too expensive considering they probablly can handle as much as the one I bought in 2009.

So i've been thinking of going back to Windows. IS there a site anywhere with builds that are stable ? Like people that list their components and whether it is working or not ?

I've also thought about buying a used mac pro for 1500 ish. The actual logic board is 1000 which is ridiculous. So ya. I have a feeling it is the smc chip that is acting up. Did all the resetting, tested it barebones , with working ram. The thing is that it is never the same. Sometimes it will turn off right away, sometimes in 1 hour. I have a power conditioner. The power is good. So ya, logic board is relaly my only guess.

Any help would be appreciated.
tehlord
I think any site that listed stable combinations would be obsolete in a week anyway.

Windows 7 is so stable it's ridiculous.

The only thing i'd recommend is avoiding current Asus motherboards and sticking with Gigabyte.

Build one yourself as well. If you can install a SATA hard drive or a few sticks of RAM, you can build a PC.

Western Digital hard drives are about the most robust i've come across, and Antec cases and PSUs are the best quality i've used without being unneccesarily flash. The P192 is also very quiet.
Julz
Why dont you build your self a hackintosh???
You already have a mac pro case you'd never know the difference.
cryophonik
quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
Western Digital hard drives are about the most robust i've come across, and Antec cases and PSUs are the best quality i've used without being unneccesarily flash.

Totally agree with the DIY approach. But, I'd suggest avoiding Antec cases - every Antec case I've used has been pretty noisy. I ditched my Antec last year in favor of a Lian-Li case and I am no longer soothed to sleep by incessant white noise.
TranceLover007
Yeah, I feel your pain man, we bought our Mac Pro in August 2011 and after 4 months hard drive went south, guess what, we didn't backup data, damn it Mac should be stable and reliable, I though!!!, but my (self build) PC is going without any problem for about 2 years (AMD)

I will definitely stay with PC for now.

Cheers,

Darek
Looney4Clooney
hackintoshes defeaet the purpose of a mac. If you know that much about computers, use a pc.

I don't want anything too new. Just something that lots of people have that works and that won't require any crazy bios adjustments to get runnimg.
Constantin
By any means avoid having something with the label ATI in your computer! If you want to try the equivalent of a Mac Pro in PC check the Lenovo workstations. If you want to make your custom Pc I am gladly helping you, just tell me how much you are willing to spend.
meriter
this might be useful, some ways to optimize the extremely bloated OS:

http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/1...configurations/ (might not be the most recent link)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...indows-7-a.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=635271

although I bet it'll just end up a big waste of time and money and you'll go back to using a mac in no time
Looney4Clooney
doubt it

mac has not improved in 2 years. Imacs are for queers.
meriter
quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney

mac has not improved in 2 years

if it ain't broke don't fix it :p

Looney4Clooney
its broke. That is the point of the thread. Macs are just too hard to fix. The parts alone mac it just not worth it. A logic board from 2009 is still 1000$.

and to buy a new one that has about the same specs as the one they sold 2 years ago for 1000 more. Explain that to me.
meriter
did you take it into the apple store they might be able to help you out, if it's only 2 years old
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 
Privacy Statement