return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Big names in small towns
View this Thread in Original format
david.michael
I run a monthly EDM night (last Thursdays) in Dayton, OH. It's a fun little night, but I'd like to bring it some more attention. Keeping the EDM scene going in Dayton takes a lot of effort, and I'd like to do something stand-out.

Keep in mind that I plan and promote this event, but do not do it to make money. I get all the money that comes to the door, but I usually hand it straight back to my DJs. I do it simply because I want to do it. I am perfectly happy to break even, or even lose a little money, if I have a successful night. (Assuming the bar does okay and the venue is happy.) I'm happy to provide one of the few EDM nights in town.

Of course, the thought of bringing a big (or semi-big) name into town creeps in every now and then. Obviously, the major hurdle is money. While I don't care about making money (I have a day job), I do care about not losing a huge chunk of it.

So, if I go this route, I'm kinda stuck between having a "kinda big" DJ play, which would be cheap (especially on a weeknight) and not having to worry about losing much money (but probably wouldn't really bring many people in a town like this anyway), or bringing a "really big" DJ in and probably losing a lot of money.

Not exactly sure what I'm asking here... really just looking for thoughts/experiences/advice from other people who are in my kind of situation: promoters of an EDM night in a small town. Maybe some of you have been down this road and can share your experiences.
Adam420
Maybe you should start by booking DJs from the Midwest? Also, check out DJ's schedules as if hey are playing nearby and have a free date then you might e able to book them for less.
recoil
quote:
Originally posted by Adam420
check out DJ's schedules as if hey are playing nearby

GOOD CALL !!

i think these schedules are available freely from the dj websites?

i've only seen a few of the said schedules, not sure if u have to email the management & wait for a reply...
Stu Cox
You've always got the problem that in a small town it's hard to find the numbers who have heard of and will be impressed by a smaller name which only the really avid music fans will have heard of.

But I guess it depends why you're doing it - if you're doing it to try and draw more numbers, then obviously you need to pick someone who will be popular in your town, but if you're more interested in booking them because they'll play a good set and you're not too worried about anyone being impressed by their status, then maybe just pick someone you like yourself who isn't out of your price range.

It's normally a bit of both of these, so you'll probably be aiming to try and judge which smaller names the people in your town might have heard of. One way to do this is to pick older names (maybe ones who had a big tune out 5 or 10 years ago) who have fallen off the radar a little bit, but are still DJing. Unfortunately this often means they've gone a little bit ...

Remember not everyone needs to have heard of the act for them to draw a crowd. The main club I used to go to when I was younger used to thrive on the dedicated music fans telling their mates when a good DJ was playing, most the people in the club didn't know who half the DJs where. Of course people were more open-minded back then...!

Also, if you promote it in the right way it's quite possible to persuade people they should have heard of this name.

As has been mentioned, you can keep the price down by booking acts based locally - someone who might be $1000 to a club elsewhere the country might only cost $500-800 if they don't have to travel too far. And if they live near enough to not need a hotel for the night you'll save yourself a load there too.

If you wanted to add a bit more draw to your lineup, consider booking a couple of names who are on the same agency. Agencies often offer multiple acts together for reduced rates. And of course with 2 names playing, if you pick them appropriately you can expand your target market a bit. But obviously you're then paying for 2 (or at least 1 1/2) acts.
Stu Cox
Oh and always try and negotiate prices - most standard fees aren't as fixed as the agencies will try and persuade you they are. Point out that you're a small night with limited funds, play on the fact that you're local (if the DJ is from nearby) and if necessary offer something in return, like selling copies of the artist's album at the night or something.
orTofønChiLd
your a fool for letting yourself think on getting big name djs, you'll lose a lot of hard earned cash me laddy
david.michael
quote:
Originally posted by Stu Cox One way to do this is to pick older names (maybe ones who had a big tune out 5 or 10 years ago) who have fallen off the radar a little bit, but are still DJing. Unfortunately this often means they've gone a little bit ...

Yeah, I've thought about going this route. Darude has played in town once or twice and it's been a decent turnout.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement