return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Thomas Penton or Vengeance
View this Thread in Original format
Frankh
I am looking at getting a new sample cd and am wondering what is the better choice. I am after Drums, FX and loops/grooves.

I was looking at Vengeance house 2 or the Penton Collection. Both pretty much the same price but you get 3 cds in the Penton collection.

Anyone have experience with tehse cds? Is it worth going for or should i go vengeance.
paulc_dj
If you're looking to produce trance, then the Vengeance essential clubsounds 1 & 2 are used by many producers and these are what I would plump for if I was you.

PC :tongue2
DJ_Eternal
I have both the Vengeance series & Volume One of the Thomas Penton Essential Drums & Percussion, and would personally recommend the Penton samples. I would say, however, that if your looking to create your own brand of kicks etc then I'd plump for the Vengeance as there's more room to work dynamically with them. Penton's are basically ready to use straight 'out of the box' as they say.

I haven't tried the new Penton samples but I'm definetly thinking about buying them, especially Vol.2 for the effects.
dannib
quote:
there's more room to work dynamically with them

i would not agree with this. The vengeance kicks sound mostly sampled from tracks and sound very very compressed. The loops are terrible as well imo.

try

loopmasters

or

sample magic

the sound demos dont sound as "mastered" but the raw sounds and especially the loops sound far better imo.
Frankh
Dannib. Do you have any suggestions on which cds to get from loopmasters or Samplemagic. I am looking to make Darren Tate, Andy duguid etc. style of music.
empirepd
I am interested in getting the Thomas Penton CD's. I am looking for good SINGLE hit drums, not loops (I can program my own drum lines thank you very much :happy2: ). Do the Thomas Penton CD's have single hit drum samples? It looks like Vol. 1 & 3 might, but is Vol. 2 just effects and loops? Can someone that has these CD's verify for me?

Thanks,
Sam
Frankh
I have now bought the cds. cd 2 is indeed just loops & effects. Cds 1 and 3 are loads of good quality drum hits. Well worth the purchasein my opinion.
empirepd
Thanks Frankh. Say, do your MySpace tunes use those Thomas Penton drum samples? Thanks.
Frankh
quote:
Originally posted by empirepd
Thanks Frankh. Say, do your MySpace tunes use those Thomas Penton drum samples? Thanks.

Yeah most of the drum samples on there are of the penton cds. The groove in Oceans apart was an old one i had lying about of a different cd though.
Storyteller
I hate Vengenace samples.

I prefer Thomas Penton, they've got more character and depth to them and I find them to be more usable because they're slightly more dynamic as well. Maybe I'm biased because I did the promo track for TP's 3rd sample cd :)

I own all 3 sample cd's of Thomas Penton and I love it. :) unlike the VEH and VEC I've had.

Watts
I only like Vengeance's Minimal House, and I think it's worth checking out.
dannib
The penton stuff is better than vengeance but it seems he's limited or digitally clipped nearly every sample. i would prefer the samples dry. leaving any limiting to either myself or a mastering engineer.

On another note i have just been listening through a couple of my vengeance cds. Has anybody noticed just how much of the material is ripped straight from commercial tracks? I think this is very wrong and dishonest. I mean its one thing chopping up some beats and layering them over your own sounds but ripping complete loops exactly as they are on commercial tracks and selling them as a "vengeance" sample cd? thats a different matter and i guess highly illegal as well.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Privacy Statement