return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Other > Political Discussion / Debate

Pages: [1] 2 
The German Election - English Thread
View this Thread in Original format
St_Andrew
So, as many of you should know elections in Germany are comming up and it will be important for the future of Europe.

I'm not *that* into all their policies, and I can't say that I really like any of the two major parties, although I would rather see Merkel win than Schroeder since that would mean some well needed reform!

Q&A about the elction:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4216280.stm

Angela Merkel:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4572387.stm

Gerhard Schroeder:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2242899.stm

German Political Parties:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4219274.stm

I would give you more sources but I have to go to school.

Discuss.
DaveSZ
I don't know much about German politics, but it looks like from many polls that Merkel has the edge right now.

From what I've read she is someone in the mold of Reagan/Thatcher and recently even plagiarized a speech by Reagan.
Lepanto
Just like in the last presidential election here in the states I'd rather choose an idiot I know, so Gerhard Schroeder, no one has a plan for Germany anyway.
HardTranceProd
I would not vote for Merkel because she comes from East Germany and has a different mentality than most Western Europeans.
Lepanto
quote:
Originally posted by HardTranceProd
I would not vote for Merkel because she comes from East Germany and has a different mentality than most Western Europeans.

It should've stayed devided
HardTranceProd
quote:
Originally posted by Lepanto

right on
RenM
quote:

well thats not true ;) only a minority of the people living in the east hasnt adapted to the western economy yet.

quote:
no one has a plan for Germany anyway.

i wouldnt say that. the cdu has some reforms ready especially when it comes to the taxes. they want a simple tax system without a lot of possibilities to save taxes. therefore they will lower the tax rate for everyone.

quote:

what makes you think that this would be any better? Eventhough it was and is very expensive for germany, i guess no serious german would ever say that germany should have stayed divided.
Lepanto
i'm a german with many relatives there who would all say it should've stayed devided once you put serious thought. right, the expenses alone were bull...

plan about taxes isn't going to do if you don't do something about the unemplyoment rate and all the people who still rip of gov't benefits.
Reverend_Trance
quote:
Originally posted by Lepanto
i'm a german with many relatives there who would all say it should've stayed devided once you put serious thought. right, the expenses alone were bull...

plan about taxes isn't going to do if you don't do something about the unemplyoment rate and all the people who still rip of gov't benefits.

Ok. Germany is better now unified. "Germany" existed in many small nations until they were unified under Prussia in 1871. Since then, Germany was become one of the most prosperous nations in the world. The industrial capacity and resources of the Ruhr. What took Great Britian, many years, by 1900 Germany was competing with the rest of the world.

And I bet that communism is fun. Lack of freedom and getting lined up against a wall and shot, it is like a thrill ride at the theme park. :rolleyes:
Everybody liked living in crappy homes and having few consumer goods. West Berlin, was a beacon to the East Germans.
Man, the freedoms you have, materialism, fast cars, etc must have sickened the East Germans. That is why millions left the country when they opened up the border in 1989. :rolleyes:
Lepanto
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend_Trance
Ok. Germany is better now unified. "Germany" existed in many small nations until they were unified under Prussia in 1871. Since then, Germany was become one of the most prosperous nations in the world. The industrial capacity and resources of the Ruhr. What took Great Britian, many years, by 1900 Germany was competing with the rest of the world.

And I bet that communism is fun. Lack of freedom and getting lined up against a wall and shot, it is like a thrill ride at the theme park. :rolleyes:
Everybody liked living in crappy homes and having few consumer goods. West Berlin, was a beacon to the East Germans.
Man, the freedoms you have, materialism, fast cars, etc must have sickened the East Germans. That is why millions left the country when they opened up the border in 1989. :rolleyes:

:haha: you fool, that dumb history lesson is pointless and people in the WEST don't want to be unified. I could give a less about East Germany. When communism fell they would've been fine to find their own future instead of leeching the wealthier and more prosperous West Germany...So good thing you're not voting lol.

RenM
quote:

it does, cause if the cdu is going to use the tax system by kirchhoff in 3-4 years people with lower income pay way less taxes and they get more money which results in having more money for consumer goods.

quote:
people in the WEST don't want to be unified

thats crap. there are some people for sure but by far not the majority. just because your relatives dont like it the way it is at the moment doesnt mean that this is true for all people living in west germany.

quote:
Man, the freedoms you have, materialism, fast cars, etc must have sickened the East Germans. That is why millions left the country when they opened up the border in 1989.

Actually, very few people moved permanently to west germany at that time, because the people where hopping for better times in their own country. and after the reunification they had these freedoms in eastern germany aswell. the problem is however that a lot of people have lost their job, because the industry in east germany was hardly competitive, the 1.250 billion € that went into the east have mainly been used to make up for the bad financial situation of the eastern states in stead of beeing used to help the economy.

quote:
When communism fell they would've been fine to find their own future instead of leeching the wealthier and more prosperous West Germany..

It is not the peoples fault but our former chancellor Kohl has made a lot of mistakes in his econimic politics that led to the problem we have now in eastern germany. And the Government we have atm has continued Kohls work....
The poeple living in east germany are germans as well as those living in west germany. So both have a right to belong to the federal republic of germany and those in the east have already paid enough while living under communist rule and they did NOT have any chance to avoid this rule.
metalgearsolid
This women, Merkal, she is going to be the next leader of Germany if she wins right? So more Schroader, but rather this women. So the Germans are going to have a women leader running thier country. How come you never see a woman running for president here?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement