return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

n00b thread again
View this Thread in Original format
djRocket
Thanks in advance for answering all of my n00blet questions. First off, is this a good deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3763891559&rd=1

Second, I hear that technics are and always will be the best turntables, so I'm pretty set on getting them. What is the difference between technics mk5, mk2 and m3d? Which ones should I get? Are there ones I am missing?

Thanks again
-jRocket
Eis
MK5s are the newest ones (not considering M5G that has +-16 pitch) I'd go for MK5, they have all kinds of overall improvements.
djRocket
also, what is the difference between sl1210 and sl1200? which one is better? thanks
dj chex
The main inprovement in the mk5 is it's led target light. Other than that, no major changes i could babble on if you want me to. And Hell YESS!!! Thats a Great deal w/ ortofon Nightclubs!!!!

as for the changes between the 1210 and 1200, is mostly colour (1210 being black 1200 silver) and 1210 usually comes w/ a switching power supply in the US model.
djRocket
babble on please! This is a big purchse for me, I'd like to know if I'm getting the good stuff. The tables above are the m3d, what is the difference between those and the mk2's or the mk5's?
DannyO
quote:
Originally posted by dj chex
as for the changes between the 1210 and 1200, is mostly colour (1210 being black 1200 silver) and 1210 usually comes w/ a switching power supply in the US model.

1200s come in black aswell, the 1210s main difference is they have a converter in them to change them to either 110 or 240 volts, depending on country.
dj chex
Sl-1200/1210MK2
+/-8% pitch
Center dip at 0% to engage quartz lock
1.5KG/cm torque
removable dust cover w/ hinge
Comes w/ rubber mat instead of slipmat
3g antiskate (you probably wont use this feature)
incodescent bulb stylus lamp

sl-1200/1210m3d
+/-8% pitch
no 0% dip like mk2 but reset button located left of pitch fader, (makes it easier to mix when pitch fader is near 0%
1.5KG/cm torque
Hingless dust cover
cartridge holder built in
3g antiskate
Comes w/ rubber mat and a dj slipmat
incodescent bulb stylus lamp

sl-1200mk5
+/-8% pitch
no 0% dip like mk2 but reset button located left of pitch fader, (makes it easier to mix when pitch fader is near 0%
1.5KG/cm torque
Hingless dust cover
cartridge holder built in
Now w/ 6gram antiskate (does this really matter?)
Comes w/ rubber mat and a dj slipmat
LED stylus lamp (yelds longer life)
brake adj pot was moved a little to the right so you can adjust brake without the need to remove the platter

sl-1200MK5G
same as mk5 except a 16% pitch range switch, blue LED stylus lamp, metallic black finish, blue lighted pitch number markers, the tonearm now has horizontal weight knob to help prevent skipping (i had this setting for scratching on my whitelabel, and i just found out it killed the stylus
:mad: !!!!!!!!!!!!! but on the plus side, it did prevent records from skipping while scratching but killed a $50 stylus!!!!! damn!!! !!!!!)

K... i got a hold of my self now...

sl-1200GLD
Same as the MK5G except 24k gold plated parts, piano black, and limited to 3000units worldwide. I just got this and i love it to death. A true collectors item for the sl-1200 freak like me. I have pics on the bedroom pics forum. it will be on the second to last page.
dj chex
quote:
Originally posted by DannyO
1200s come in black aswell, the 1210s main difference is they have a converter in them to change them to either 110 or 240 volts, depending on country.

ture ture, but all of the 1210 for sale in the US are black while the 1200 is usually silver (but not always)
DannyO
quote:
Originally posted by dj chex
ture ture, but all of the 1210 for sale in the US are black while the 1200 is usually silver (but not always)

Oh really, that I didn't know, I do know that most 1200s are silver, but I got lucky and got some black ones.
djRocket
thanks for the awesome replies guys. It looks like II'll be satisfied with either the m3d's or the mk2's. Is there one that is more preferable to you all? Thanks

dj chex
quote:
Originally posted by djRocket
thanks for the awesome replies guys. It looks like II'll be satisfied with either the m3d's or the mk2's. Is there one that is more preferable to you all? Thanks

If you are looking to become a turntablist, than the mk2 is prefered b/c it's easier to bring the pitch back to 0% if you do key tricks. As for mixing i like the m3d. But for pure beauty, i can't say no to the sl-1200GLD. If you want one the time is now to buy.

You really should bid on that e-bay thing, but wait until the bidding comes close to the end. Ortofon nightclubs are just great carts and im sure you'll be happy w/ them.

On a unreleated note, I won't blame that turntable for killing my stylus. On closer examination the stylus' cantilever was dented from maxing out it's suspension from side by side stresses from scratching, And it's present on both sides. So i guess i killed it from my stupid turntablist actions. I can see why Shure doesn't recomend scratching w/ these carts now, it's suspension isn't nearly as tight as the m44-7.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement