return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
wearing headphones
View this Thread in Original format
V0GHDiE
what do you do with your headphones during a transition? do you put them aside to hear the LIVE sound or do you mix with headphones on?
i am cueing and beatmatching with one cup on and the other one off to hear the live track.
for the transition i normally just put them between my head and neck so that if want to prelisten the tune i just need to turn my head to the side...
what do you do?

ps: my english sucks :)
Tiger777
I Beatmatch with 2 cups on, when bringing the incomming track in, i throw off 1 cup. I think most people will do it that way.
IKKI-ZUVK
As soon as I beatmatch (lmao) the to records and I'm ready to bring the other song in I always take my headphones off that way I can hear how my mix sounds .
Do whatever is easier for you .
brian
If I'm just recording here in my room and there's no one around listening, I usually just keep both cups on. But if there's someone else listening, like a friend, I'll usually beat match with both cups on, but then take them off to hear the live sound.
zizack
I beat-match with both on, and when I bring the cued song up live, I take my headphones off for a few seconds, then put them back on, then go to one ear. Then totally off to mix the song completely out.
Endo
Many people use the headphone crossfader (if their mixer comes with one) and that's a main reason why they keep both cups on, cause they can tell that way how their mix is sounding. I tend to avoid this and make myself learn with only using 1 cup on. I match the beats, then take the headphones off and bring crossfader across, and then put 1 cup back onjust in case the 2 tracks start to drift.

When I'm not mixing I have my headphones around my neck, I wish my chord was coiled though or perhaps longer :( oh well
Endo
oh and by the way V0GHDiE your avatar is hilarious lol
jonnycarcinogen
Same as everyone else here
dartman
i have one on and one off when i am setting up the mix, and as i am bringing in the new song if i am confident that they are matched up nice and all is going well, i toss my headphones down around my neck. but if i am not sure about the mix or things are going wrong i do the whole squeeze one cup between my shoulder and my ear thing and try to sort things out
pagoda
Depends on how loud the monitors are around me. If I can hear them, I'll generally switch between the headphones and listening to the monitors just to make sure it's sounding ok live. The headphones allow you to hear minor drifting quicker than the speakers do though.

When there are no monitors or they are just tremendously quiet I'll just keep the cans on the whole time.

kr00t0n
When beatmatching, rightside cup on ear playing only the track I am bringing in, left ear to monitor. Leave right cup on after initial cue, once I am happy that they are on, cans come of and I listen to my transition through my monitors so as to get an idea of what the people on the dancefloor would be heaaring.

I found when playing on loud rigs, its the best way to do it, unless your cans have got some awesome sound isolation, as gigs tend to be alot louder than you'd expect :)
IntegraR0064
quote:
Originally posted by dartman
i have one on and one off when i am setting up the mix, and as i am bringing in the new song if i am confident that they are matched up nice and all is going well, i toss my headphones down around my neck. but if i am not sure about the mix or things are going wrong i do the whole squeeze one cup between my shoulder and my ear thing and try to sort things out

Yeah, exactly what i do
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement